OT Wind power cheapest form of energy.

Good question, scale could be the problem. Pulling a few tens of megawatts from the enviroment for a wind farm sized liquid air plant isn't too difficult. Pulling a couple of gigawatts for a nuke is another matter.

I guess you could offset having to take the heat from the enviroment by pumping the heat generated (when you compress the air) into the ground and drawing it back later. That techonology exists as interseasonal heat stores.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Many would question that statement as pumps are often inside the boiler casing these days.

So what do you classify as the boiler? Just the actual heat exchanger?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Even so you're not comparing like for like. And a modern condensing boiler must have saved you a fortune in gas bills over a back boiler type - which was about the most inefficient around.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

See

and

Chris Hogg

I would have thought that there would be more than enough waste heat from a nuclear power plant.

Reply to
Nightjar

It's as much part of the boiler as a starter motor is part of a car engine.

Reply to
charles

I removed the back boiler immediately on moving in and I did say earlier that I deliberately didn't choose a condensing boiler. They are more expensive to buy and are notorious for having a much shorter life.

Reply to
Bod

enviroment

True as it'll be going full chat 24/7 ... So not only do you have 2 GW base load you also have 2 GW dispatchable. Why is that ringing a thermodynamic alarm bell?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Looking at the Wiki link Chris Hogg has given, a pilot plant is only achieving 15% efficiency, with a possible, maybe, sometime in the future, 60% efficiency, so I don't think we have invented perpetual motion yet.

Interesting that they have to extract CO2, to prevent it freezing in storage. In the long term, it might even extract more CO2 from the atmosphere than the concrete for the power station created.

Reply to
Nightjar

Reporting in Lefty News, as well.

Reply to
Huge

You'll have to define what you consider part of the boiler, then. And car engine, come to that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But use less gas? You need to consider the overall costs of the system for a like for like performance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nope.Cheaper than nuclear too.

Reply to
harryagain

You've been taken in by all the hype. Have a read of this:

Bod

Unless of course you have a subsidy deal that means you can always sell at the peak market price whenever you have capacity available, and the grid is compelled to just suck it up by pushing other generators off.

;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

However if the pump is in the same case as the boiler (e.g. system / combi) then what people used to call a fault with the pump or the heating system they now think of as a boiler fault.

Years ago perhaps - can't see why a modern condensor should be any less reliable than a similarly integrated and controlled conventional boiler.

Reply to
John Rumm

I *like* Lefty News. I just apply the same sceptic filter that I do to the Mail or Torygraph.

Reply to
newshound

From the article you provided a link to:

'Nuclear power, offshore wind and solar energy are all comparably inexpensive generators, at roughly ?125 per MW/h.'

Reply to
Nightjar

And Harry keeps telling us how expensive nuclear power is!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

On 17/10/2014 17:32, "Nightjar

Reply to