OT Win 10 update to EDGE denies existance of Firefox

No idea what you are on about. Many registry hack are around for various flavours of windows precisely because Microsoft 'forgot' to produce a control panel interface to change them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I use Pale Moon as my browser of choice in Windows 8.1. Installed it yesterday on Windows 10 running in Oracle VirtualBox & then uninstalled Edge - which somewhat surprised me as Microsoft don't normally allow that.

Reply to
wasbit

Author is in Switzerland. DCMA is a US law.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

You might have uninstalled "edge update", not edge itself, I think the update arrived with 20H2 to dissuade people using the old edge to use the chrome edge.

Reply to
Andy Burns

when the computer is switched off, the registry and all its binary blobs does live on the C: drive, surely ?.

Only when Windows is running is a copy likely to reside in memory ??

Reply to
Andrew

No, this simply fires up the Settings App which asks me to choose from a list that does not show Firefox !

Upgrade from win 7 Pro/32 bit.

1904 ?. Definately not the latest 2004.
Reply to
Andrew

with Kaspersky Internet Security that uses safe banking. This is the issue, the latest M$soft update means it uses Edge and not firefox and my ISA+SIPP provider won't all me to log in because it sees the change in browser.

For now I have renamed the EDGE.EXE with _hidden which means safe banking uses Firefox, but emails that have clickable links

Stop Press, just tried this and sodding EDGE seems to have re-enabled itself somehow !!!.

Settings-> default browser just says "Edge is already the default Browser", and no obvious option to undo it.

Reply to
Andrew

If you don't want an MS OS to force the official MS browser on you, then you really shouldn't be using an MS OS.

We're what ? 15 years on from the browser ruling, and they are still at it.

Are there any sites that mandate EDGE ?

Run Linux, you know it makes sense :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Just upgraded to the latest version.

No change.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Where is the option to uninstall EDGE ?. All thwe Win 7 functionality to install/remove programs seems to have gone.

Reply to
Andrew

No help. Firefox is *missing* from the drop-down box.

Reply to
Andrew

Start/settings/Apps/Apps&Features

I see "Microsoft Edge" and "Microsoft Edge Update" on the list of things that could be installed ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

But the option to actually uninstall them is greyed out

Reply to
Andy Burns

As I was just about to say ....

And both options for Edge Update are dimmed too.

Now what ?.

I am reluctant to uninstall Firefox because I have set up lots of bookmarks and Kaspersky expects to use it.

Reply to
Andrew

Have you uninstalled and re-installed FF?

Reply to
John Rumm

Control panel is still there with the "programs and features" snap in.

Note if you update to the more recent Win 10 it will replace the old MS Edge with the re-badged Chrome based edge.

Reply to
John Rumm

FF stores all the config data in the profile folder under the roaming section of the appdata folder.

So you can navigate your way down by opening in sequence:

C:\Users\<youraccountname>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox

(or type %appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox into the location bar of a windows explorer window)

If you make a backup of the profile folder, then you can always go back to the previous version

Also for extra security you can create a firefox account, and then have it synch your data with that. It will then mean you can log into firefox with that account in future and automatically get access to your saved profile stuff.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'll try that over the weekend.

The list of Apps that can be uninstalled seems to include two earlier versions of FF for some reason. And three versions of C++ redistributables ??. One is 2010, 13.9Mbytes, vsn 10.0.40219 and the other two are 2008 vsn 9 and 600KB and 598KB.

Reply to
Andrew

If you don't why there are multiple versions of the C++ redist installed on your machine then you certainly don't want to touch them in anyway.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Mine seems to work as expected.

Microsoft Edge (Chrome version) updates itself regularly, so there are plenty of opportunities for shenanigans. Of course, so does Firefox, whether you're on the Beta stream or the Release stream.

Paul

Reply to
Paul