OT Whiskey

For being a good boy, pulling my guts out and making a 10/10 job of painting the interior of my house the wife has given me a bottle of Bells Whiskey. Seems she has had it in a drawer for maybe three years. It looked a bit pale. The top was on tightly but there was no click sound when I opened it. It tasted awful so I have poured it down the drain. Does Whiskey deteriorate?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

No, don't think so. Spirits were used as an antiseptic and a preservative (cf 'Tapping the Admiral'). It evaporates.

I suspect you may have had a bottle in which the contents had been 'recycled'. Never drink from a warm bottle.

Reply to
Onetap

In message , Mr Pounder writes

Presumably the bottle had the type of screw top which splits away from a perforated bit (indicating that the bottle has been opened). However, sometimes the whole of the top comes off intact, and if this is what happened, it could be that the contents have been got at. Someone could have been having the occasional surreptitious sip, and topping the bottle up with water - and well-diluted whiskey tends to taste rather nasty - and, of course, looks pale.

Also, although 40% full strength whiskey won't 'go off' after the bottle is opened, it will do if it has been diluted to less than (say) 15%.

Do you, by any chance, have a teenage son?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Not in a few years. The best ones are matured in casks for longer than that. And they're not sealed as well as a bottle.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it was Whiskey ... then it was not Bells

Bells is Scotch Blended Whisky

Whiskey is Irish not Scottish

Whatever you had as a Blended spirit it does not usually improve that much with age, compared to for example a single malt ........ also it does not go off ....

If it is in fact labelled as Bells Whiskey .... then maybe it is a cheap copy, and may have moire in common with anti-freeze than Scotland.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

It certainly evaporates....

Reply to
Dave - Cyclists VOR

If it really said Bells *Whiskey* (as opposed to Whisky) then it's counterfeit stuff.

Whisky doesn't go off in poorly sealed bottles. If the Whiskey was a typo, then someone's been drinking it and adulterating it with something else to top it up.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

You thought it tasted awful as it was Whisky and not Old Spice (your usual tipple).

Reply to
ARWadsworth

None of them do after they are bottled. Its the time they spend in the barrel absorbing the tastes of whatever was in them previously that is the age of a whisky.

Reply to
dennis

Thats Bells whiskey all right.

It will lose alcohol faster than it loses water if its not sealed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it was Bells Whiskey and not Bells Whisky, then it was probably a fake.

Reply to
charles

Doesn't your wife love you? If my wife bought me Bells, I'd divorce her.

Bells is whisky rather than whiskey.

Bells always tastes awful.

Next time demand something decent, Bushmills or at least Jamesons ;-)

Reply to
Brian Reay.

In message , Brian Reay. writes

Indeed. I much prefer whiskey to whisky (although I never turn down a kind offer). I can't help feeling that, somehow, the Scots have never quite got the hang of making it.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

It probably went into a sulk being called Whiskey. Anyway, that's Bells - headbanging juice.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I'm Scottish and can't stand the blended shit. Malts, otoh, fill me with delight, especially with some ginger ale [1], and some of them don't even give me a banging headache next day. Irish Whiskey goes down a treat too - preferably Jimmy's.

[1] Fuck off, purists.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I'm slightly diff, if it says scotch & 40% on the bottle, I'll drink it. :D I drink for effect, I don't particularly like the stuff. I'm not as thunk as you drink I am and I was deffo not expeeding the seed limit, ossifer.

Reply to
scorched

O c'mon, if it says 40%, get it down yer neck ;)

Reply to
scorched

writes

Au contraire. I think you'll find that it's the Irish who are struggling to get it right. Can't even spell it right for starters! ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

'Tis said the only thing you should add to a single malt whisky is a drop or two of pure Highland spring water from the grouse moors. On the other hand, 'tis also said that a true whisky aficionado will add anything which helps it go down well. While I prefer mine unadulterated, someone recommended Coca Cola - and yes, it's quite nice.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

If I get enough, I can't spell it either way.

Reply to
Ian Jackson