OT: What you can and can't do at a polling station

Can you wear political clothing?

People shouldn't wear party political clothing. At the last general election Nigel Tonkin, then Westminster Council's head of administrative services, said that context was important.

"There's a candidate standing in Westminster as a pirate," he said. "And if he comes in to vote in a pirate costume as is likely, we won't turn him away. The same goes for any supporters coming to vote as pirates."

michael adams

So you cannot dance naked to Terry Wogans Floral DAnce then, even if you are loverly and female? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

From that link

Size used to be an issue. While the Electoral Commission doesn't specify dimensions at this election, guidance in 2008 set out a maximum width of "three to four inches".

How can you have a maximum width with two options?

Reply to
ARW

In article , ARW writes

It's all about tolerance.

Reply to
bert

It probably depends on the whim of the officials who oversee various consituencies. Some might not like rosettes and think they lower the tone so for them, three inches is the minimum maximum which they have to allow. Whereas for officials who like rosettes four inches is the maximimum maximum which they're allowed to permit.

Can you bring a pet?

In cases where a voter has two or more dogs and will struggle to control them while casting their ballot, polling station staff may be able to hold the dogs' leads.

Could be fun if two or three voters all turn up at the same time with two or more dogs, and demand to exercise their rights.

michael adams

michael adams

That's what I thought as well. The answer is, you can't. He probably means "maximum width of about four inches", but his command of English is poor.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Excluding or including the ribbon? Limp or hard?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Maybe it depends on how politacal the clothing is. I bet all the party leaders will be voting in their own clothes complete with a particular colour tie.

I did hear that you may be fined if you take a selfie at the polling station.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Only if you include your ballot paper with it's mark and serial number. Ironically the laws that protect the privacy of the voter actually require you to not publicise your own ballot paper - I think!

Also others may object to being photographed.

However, a selfie with no other people nor the paper in shot - I think they'd be hard pressed to bust you as photography per-se is not prohibited. But the returning officer may have some leeway to require "good conduct" in the polling station.

Reply to
Tim Watts

but they're likely to go through the motions as if you'd committed a crime, until proven you didn't.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Tolerance - if it does not fit then a good DIYer can make it fit:-)

Reply to
ARW

It's private property so the owner or hirer (if eg a church hall) i.e. the returning officer or council can make their own rules about photography, an d the presiding officer can remove anyone from the polling place (except fo r voters casting a vote, election agents, observers etc) and can instruct a constable to remove a person.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Didn't see any constable at the polling station today.

Reply to
Nightjar

In article , ARW writes

10/10 for bringing an OT subject back to DIY
Reply to
bert

Not quite -

The returning officer cannot exceed his appointed powers - the polling station has right of access by all people eligible to vote and I don't think he can remove people unless they are acting unlawfully.

Reply to
Tim Watts

My polling station was an infant school. There were 3 people in the queue when I got there two of which had a pram with kids with them, 3 kids in all.

Reply to
whisky-dave

They'll turn up *very* quickly if required.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

only for the purpose of casting their vote; not for singing, dancing, photographing, using e-cigs, changing their library books, etc.

the only lawful purpose (election agents etc aside) is casting their vote.

The presiding officer can remove anyone else.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Within the bounds of common sense - he cannot require that people wear suits, not breath etc.

Looking at their phone may be essential as some wish to check some info on who they are voting for. Some may wish to photograph their own ballot for posterity with no intention of publishing it - and act which is not against the law.

Reply to
Tim Watts

What about getting a free bag of chips in the fish and chip shop that serves as one polling station, or having a cup of tea with the three other voters registered there, after all have voted, in the front room that serves as another?

Reply to
Nightjar