OT: What newsreader do you use ?

Any newsreaders for Windows Mobile based PDA.s@

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

I completely agree. Unfortunately, not everybody sees it that way. Some even filter which sites are allowed and log all accesses to others.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes there are. However, keep in mind that you may be paying a lot by the MB for the data over GPRS.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ooh, good point. But that's not a general access usenet client.

Reply to
Huge

Disgraceful rubbish.

Google groups is what you need.

Reply to
Anita Palley

Troll alert!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes sure - unless of course you are the employer and paying for it - and the employees time. Quite a neat idea really - let the emplyee decide what they want to do and get someone else to pay for it. I'd also like the company to provide me (and everyone) with a nice cosy place to have a sleep anytime I felt like it and maybe a free trip or two to the Med.

I don't. I'm not an employer btw. Many people already take it as yet another "right". Maybe if so kind of "asking" was to happen both sides might see it differently.

Reply to
jake

Would your not being an employer have anything to do with your inability to read and understand simple concepts like "judging by results"?

clive

Reply to
Clive George

"proxy.news.easynews.com listens on ports 22, 23, 53, 80, 110 and 443"!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Bollox. If I want to work late to get the job done, it's a marginal cost for the light above my desk. I'm not being paid for surfing the web, I'm paid to get the job done on time, to spec, and within budget. How/when I do it is (within reason) up to me.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Payment should be for objectives, not for time.

There's nothing wrong with that, provided that the objectives are met.

or that....

Actually there are employers who provide arrangements to sleep at the office and also 24x7 catering. Bloomberg used to do this, probably still do. However, the nature of their business is that hours of work are erratic, plus it works out better for employees to stay rather than go home for short periods.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The vast majority of employees work to other's time schedule in one way or another. If they didn't they could work from home.

The trouble with reading newsgroups at work is you may be tempted to reply to one that really grabs your attention - and that is likely to take over as a priority. Especially in a fairly boring job. Same as chatting to a colleague. 'Tis human nature.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes and no. Where several people have to work together collaboratively, that is probably true.

Other than that, measurement of time and restricting what people can do is thought by some to be a way to improve productivity. If this is being used as the primary way to achieve from employees what you want, then the plot has been lost by both - by management for imagining that it will work and by employees for being focused just on time and not on outcome.

That's a good thing where it's possible.

That's true. Chatting to a colleague is a good thing, though.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Blocking/controlling boundary traffic is far more than simply closing down ports (application layer proxying for example - no NNTP proxying no joy). Furthermore, you are assuming the corporate system allows user installation of a newsreader application.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

"Should", yes, "is", no.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I should've written '...is *often* far more'...

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

We can but dream.

We are making progress when most are not wet ones.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Now it's getting complicated.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Of course not. If the members could, the union people would be out of a job, wouldn't they?

Reply to
Huge

You'd be happy to pay union dues and have them on the management side?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)