OT - What can I buy the wife

The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice, lasting gift?

Reply to
Homer2911

What about a watch? Useful, pretty and lasts. Got my mum an Armani watch for her seventieth birthday and she seems happy with that. See

for example.

Reply to
Suz

A watch wouldn't be useful to me, I'm rarely interested in the time. And I'm not interested in 'pretty' things.

So all that says is that there are different opinions and preferences among people.

Heck, if someone's been married to someone for (presumably) years he really should know her preferences better than anyone here does.

It's typical of a man to not bother thinking and making up his own mind though :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary, it's close on 40 years, and I still haven't got a clue how her mind works!

40 years come next March, and we've only ever had one arguement - it started on March 25th 1967 and it's still going on! :-)
Reply to
Homer2911

You're not trying :-)

Oh dear ... I do hope the smiley tells all ...

Seriously, I've worked hard at finding very special gifts to mark Spouse's anniversaries, even a flying lesson in a Tiger Moth. When it comes to my birthday he says he can't think of anything for me.

For example, last night we were at a son's birthday/anniversary party. I was in deep conversation with my daughter in law when Spouse asked if I'd like anything to eat. I said thank you, yes. He asked what? I said you choose. I didn't want to interrupt the talk Bronwen and I were having. He said he didn't know what I wanted. This after 47 years!

I'm used to it, he more than makes up for it in other ways.

My response was that I don't ask him to choose what he'd like for his dinner every night, I think, plan, prepare, cook and serve. I think he got the message because he brought me a wrap filled with everything on the table. It was delicious.

Just something you've put some thought into will almost certainly delight your wife, not something obvious like a bunch of flowers from the filling station or a box of Roses (bleurch) or a takeaway from McDs.

I have all sorts of ideas but I'm not gong to make it easy for you :-) Nothing worthwhile is easy, if you put some effort into it she'll love it and you.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

LOL!

I'm trying to persuade the OP to do it himself rather than get us to do it :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Homer2911" saying something like:

30 year old toyboy?
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I'm sure his wife finds him very trying on times - mine does. I agree with OP about womens minds..

I have the same problem with my wife..

Yes, but he probably knows how to choose the wrong thing. I certainly do..

I think very often men are interested in everything *but* what many women are interested in, we will accept just about anything wer're given, on the other hand, women.. ;-)

Of course, Mary you are the exception, etc..

LOL

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

The message from "Homer2911" contains these words:

A lead-lined coffin?

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Grimly Curmudgeon contains these words:

Best thing you can give a young man is an older woman.

Reply to
Guy King

No wonder you are 'big' Mary! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

A boob job.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Diamonds.

Or if you can't afford those, try a few days at a 'pamper yourself' beauty break. (Maybe that will last a bit..., maybe not)

Reply to
Bioboffin

A grandchild?

A puppy?

A Miele washing machine?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I know, but normally I don't eat like that. The bigness is more a function of not being able to exercise much (severe degeneration of my lower spine).

The problem last night wasn't how much I ATE ... all that champagne ... we were a little fragile this morning :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh Heavens, that's the last thing I'd want. I prefer someone with a lot more experience :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Two x 30-year-old toyboys?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Good, you should always leave something for the other guests .. ?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Any number of thirty year olds haven't appealed to me for decades. I have enough with my own toyboy. Spouse is younger than me!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher