OT wall box ID

Perhaps just the unterminated end of a 32 Amp power cable as a future proof measure for a EV charger ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

I wouldn't have thought so. You might expect it to be near the electricity meter - or at least where the mains supply enters (which I would expect to be near the meter) - but as I mentioned they are often on the opposite side of the front door to the meter. Also, these new builds have garages and/or parking areas at the side of the house. I would expect a charger point to be placed there.

On the other hand, if they are charger points, could the larger box be for 3-phase use, and the smaller for single?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

The only way then is to sneak up to it at 3am, and remove the lid !

Reply to
Mark Carver

I have a contact at the Agents for the site. I'll email them in early January and ask what the boxes are for.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

A walk round a different part of the new estate provided the answer. Quite a few houses had 50mm green PE pipe coming out of the ground below the box - which in this case was brown. Some houses had wiring coming out of the green pipe - sometimes white, sometimes black, which on occasion went into the box, and sometimes where there was no box just ran through a hole in the wall. It all became clear when I was able to get close enough to read what was on the brown box:

"Virgin".

I must say that cable TV just didn't cross my mind as I don't have it, and it looks like most of those on the estate also don't.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Strange, virgin have their own branded boxes, e.g.

I guess if the ductwork is installed by the builder they may not use the same boxes ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, that's it - the one on the left. What's the one on the right for? It just seems an odd coincidence that it appears to be about double the size of the one on the left, and perhaps similar to the double-size and single-size unmarked (Gewiss) boxes I'd referred to earlier.

Is there another cable provider? Could Sky be providing services in the non-Virgin box area, or do they no longer have an interest in cable?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Are the houses lived in or for sale?

Reply to