OT wall box ID

Lots of new builds round here. As I was passing some of the houses this morning I noticed two grey boxes on the front wall, both about 20 cm above ground level. One was about 15 x 10 cm and 2 - 3 cm deep, was marked "Openreach", and had a black cable entering it from the ground. I assume this box was for FTTP.

The other one, near to the Openreach box, was of two types. The first was about 12 x 12 x 3 - 4 cm, and the second was about 18 x 18 x 6 cm. There were no cables or markings. Both were a slightly lighter grey than the Openreach box.

What are these boxes for, and why the different sizes, which was not related to the size of the house they were on?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

External copper NTEs look like this from various angles

the external fibre splice points look like this

or this

Andy Burns

That's the Openreach box I saw, perhaps also the NTE one above. Some of the boxes had that shrouding, others didn't.

That's the right shape, and maybe size, for one of the other boxes. But there was no wording on it, and - as far as I remember - no hinge on the top. And, as I mentioned, no cables to be seen.

I'd try to get a photo, but these boxes are right by the front door, and it might look a bit suspicious. If I can find a house marked "sold", but not yet occupied, which has the box I might be able to get a photo of that.

The "show houses" don't have the boxes, but one appeared to have a curled length of black cable coming out of the wall where a box (probably the Openreach one) would be.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Which reminds me, many people like a good looking house, yet connection boxes seem to always stick out like a sore thumb. Surely there hads to be ways to make utility boxes actually not look like some kind of industrial fitting? Its much the same with cell phone towers, always a grey colour monopole with stick out like a sore thumb aerials in daft colours and rows of humming boxes on the ground.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I realise you can't play brian, but for anyone else can you spot the cell tower in this street scene?

Andy Burns

That's very neat and tidy.

Reply to
Sn!pe

Lamp standard front right? Next to the green box:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Brian Gaff (Sofa) laid this down on his screen :

Not always, some are disguised to look like a tree.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

The green box is a public litter bin.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Gotta be this https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5951676,-1.1105114,3a,90y,174.28h,107.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5fFLPPqIGLWLcJZMa8aGEw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hidden within the fibreglass faux brick panel that's attached to this chimney

If you look in the streetview history there were previously panels on at least three of the chimneys "fattening them up" and some ugly trunking on the front of the building linking them.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Turn around and look next to the bus stop in front of Sainsbury's.

Reply to
Sn!pe

I got a couple of photos, although both are of the smaller box. The first shows the box at least 60 cm from the Openreach box. The second shows it adjacent to it and in closeup.

The box doesn't appear to be linked to the supply of gas or electricity. Quite often the meters are on the other side of the front door to the box.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

There's some writing on the smaller box, but it's going to need a better photo, I can't make it readable in GIMP

Reply to
Andy Burns

I couldn't read it on the actual box! Even the capitals on the top line were barely 7mm high. I'll try to get another photo when I can, perhaps when the lighting gives more contrast on it.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Possibly GEWISS?

Andy Burns

Better photo

Andy Burns

I think you're right. Looking through their catalogues reveals a great range of boxes of that type. But that just raises the question of what's in them! If I ever find out I'll post the answer in this NG.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

remote "thing" for water meter reading? Surprised the water co wouldn't have a branded box though.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Perhaps, but why two different sized boxes? And why no obvious pipes or cables (although I'd expect the pipes to be below ground) for frost protection.

Reply to
Jeff Layman