OT: Ventilators - that real story

Seems they had two, recently acquired, which were combined anaesthetic and ventilator machines - not "just" ventilators. I think they were used in the theatres.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Very interesting (though why the background muzak?).

Seems that there's a lot to be said for the Iron Lung concept and I wonder if there's work going on with a simplified machine or even an electrical pulse to control the diaphragm?

Reply to
AnthonyL

ISTM that many of of the problems that apply to the design of a ventilator will also apply to that - i.e. sensing when to "breathe" in sync with the body etc. You also lose the benefit of being able to introduce some continuos positive airway pressure (CPAP) to help keep lung airways "open" without needing a second machine.

Reply to
John Rumm