OT: Small planes

In the weeks leading up to the Falklands war, when the task-force was in transit, something very loud and very low flew over this house. I never saw what it was but I could almost feel the heat from its engine through the slate roof of the kitchen extension.

Reply to
Graham.

I saw an RAF Chinook fly overhead a few days ago.

Mind you, I saw a brace of them last year on the same flightpath

$20Chinook/uk.d-i-y/xNMdlm7kIpk/qZDGTXLOCwAJ

Reply to
Graham.

I've noticed lately on flightradar24 there are often small planes flying in a sort of grid pattern. Right now there's one going east-west-east-west north of LHR and one going north-south-north-south over central London.

I'm assuming they're surveying, perhaps for Google Earth or similar?

I'm wondering if they're always there, but lost in the usual maelstrom of 'normal' air traffic?

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Usually around calibrating navaids and now taking advantage of quiet skies.

Reply to
Peter Parry

--

Reply to
GB

Not been many today, but over the last few days, yes. I'm not so sure they are surveying. however they are not low enough to be monitoring peoples movements either. I did try airband but found no likely suspects. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

my copy of flightradar24 says the N>S>N one is a bioflight. Perhaps doing air samples?

Reply to
charles

Measuring it's own pollution then :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Clive Arthur snipped-for-privacy@nowaytoday.co.uk> wrote in news:r6prc9$sur$1@dont- email.me:

The organisation, planning and design behind Google Maps is awesome.

Reply to
John

Thanks.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

There was one over here at least twice last night about 2.00am in the morning. Very unusual. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

We had a Herc go past at low level the other day. It's usually black helicopters on that route (pavehawks, and actually dark green) and some of them really are low. Below the skyline, and the valley they fly down is only 300ft deep... Herc was higher than that, but I suspect hundreds not thousands.

Haven't seen our local Spitfire since the lockdown :(

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

We had a Herc go past at low level the other day. It's usually black helicopters on that route (pavehawks, and actually dark green) and some of them really are low. Below the skyline, and the valley they fly down is only 300ft deep... Herc was higher than that, but I suspect hundreds not thousands.

Haven't seen our local Spitfire since the lockdown :(

Andy

====

Ahh not seen one in many years. It was always my favourite!

Reply to
Ophelia

We had one as well - and we NEVER get them normally. Very low but no obvious reason for that, nor any idea what it was doing.

Years ago, in another place, we got them all the time.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

always plenty of helicopters buzzing around Aberdeen ....

always plenty of helicopters buzzing around Aberdeen ....

one today but plenty during the week ...

===

Can't say I am thrilled with helicopters! My favourites are the old Spitfires and Vulcans:)) We do see helicopters over here from time to time overhead:))

Reply to
Ophelia

constelations and dc3 are my fav

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

constelations and dc3 are my fav

====

I'll have to look those up!

Reply to
Ophelia

A couple of years back my wife was weeding in the garden, and became aware of a roaring noise. Looked all around, couldn't see anything - then XH558 appeared over the top of the house.

I don't know what height she habitually cruised at, but it seemed low!

Can't have been more than 6 months before she flew for the last time.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris