OT: Vaccine Passports

My wife used to see many many people who claimed to have needle phobia (she was an anaesthetist ).

An awful lot of these people had tattoos. Go figure?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Still. If you rely on social media for your info, understandable. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

OTOH, if you rely on the BBC, you're even more well-buggered.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Many of the dedicated anti-vaccine posters on social media remind me a lot of the type of people who posted "smoking is safe" articles prior to the smoking ban in pubs, restaurants and public enclosed spaces.

Reply to
alan_m

I think misinformation on the BBC utterly pales into insignificance compared to that on social media.

I have an intelligent friend who is currently suffering from covid, probably because she didn?t have her second vaccination, because she was worried about the effect on her fertility.

I don?t recall the BBC promoting that idea.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Dying of covid is even more likely to affect her fertility

Reply to
charles

Even the BBC running a piece denying any vaccination effects on fertility will make some women worry about it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Anti vaxxer eh.

Get stuffed!

Reply to
RobH

Exactly. "Why would they be doing that?" one asks....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In the Covid Myth Buster page perhaps

Reply to
charles

Perhaps they were OK before the tattoos...

Reply to
Vir Campestris

To buy alcohol, sharp objects etc. proof of age is required. Need to have documents for driving, going abroad, operating many machines, so what's wrong with showing evidence that you have a much reduced chance of killing other people of yourself? BTW, I tried to get the 'vaccine passport' from NHS site. Took a lot of hoop-jumping, finally got a PDF with 2 day's currency - I will neve become unvaccinated!

Reply to
PeterC

Be careful what you wish for!

The people most likely to be excluded by such a passport scheme are mostly the elderly with ancient hand me down iPhone 5s or earlier and antediluvian Android. My own phone won't run the NHS app (it's too old).

My cousin's is *so* old it won't even run the BBC app! I know many without any kind of smart phone at all - just a mobile phone.

Paper "certificates" are so easily forged that they are worthless.

I don't see that there is anything to discuss. Other countries will demand proof of vaccination status before they will let you in as will some crowded larger UK venues in the future. Your choice is quite simply to comply with their requirements or be refused admission.

It will ultimately force some people to upgrade their mobile phones to one that can actually run the required NHS app (myself included). WTF they couldn't have made it run on older versions I don't know.

The bluetooth track and trace app has technical reasons why it needs a very recent OS version but a cryptographic signed certificate doesn't!

For now I haven't attended anything yet where proof of vaccination was required and I have been to a concert with 1000+ people at it.

I fully expect that when university term restarts the curve will be much the same as it was last year but starting from a baseline 30x higher. The effect of freshers week at university is pretty much inevitable.

Casualties should be an order of magnitude lower, but that is still uncomfortably close to the NHS capacity for intensive care beds.

FWIW It seems round here that the younger cohort *are* getting jabbed - it is mid twenties to early thirties where there is a noticeable gap.

You can see it here. The 18-24 group have already overtaken the 24-29 group despite being last to be allowed access to the vaccine. They will have overtaken the 30-39 cohort by the end of this month.

It isn't fair to characterise students as refuseniks. They are doing their bit - it is young adults 25-35 that are vaccine sceptics now.

I blame Facebook for spreading anti-vaxxer misinformation.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I though the covid passport app was a bolt-on to the "NHS app" not the "NHS covid app"?

I can't sign-in with my NHS number as I can't prove my identity to their satisfaction, so it refers you to your GP, who similarly won't give me an ID on their system or even let me in the door ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

My late partner only ever had a dumb phone. However, she did have a computer and could have done it online.

They only last 28 days and carry a large 2D barcode, which is what the scanners check. How would you go about forging one of those that was recognised as valid?

Already happening. A friend had to produce one for the Gardner's World show on Friday and was scanning them at the gate of her local County show yesterday.

As I say, you can do it online. You obviously have a computer.

nightjar

It is.

I found it tedious, but not particularly difficult. I'm not sure how well it would have worked if I had not got either a passport or photo driving licence though. I had to take a photo of one of those, then take a video of me saying four numbers they had sent me.

I have been signed up to my GP's practice online services for many years. They are also letting people back through the door, providing they wear a mask and use hand sanitiser on the way in.

Reply to
nightjar

I have neither.

I'll have to check if mine are now

Reply to
Andy Burns

I had no difficulty getting mine. I simply had to give my NHS number.

Reply to
charles

But they're valid at the moment, if you go to the NHS (app or otherwise) you will be offered paper proof of vaccination status as well as proof in the app.

As regards 'easily forged' a phone validation is just about as easy, easier for those familiar with phone use. What proof does anyone that you wave your phone is actually your phone or that the NHS app on it has been 'identified' as you?

All the NHS app requires is your details (DOB, address, etc.) and a picture that matches 'you' from your passport or driving licence. Since you send all these things to them it really isn't all that difficult to fiddle it IMHO.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, that's right.

The identity checking is quite difficult if you're not really familiar with your phone, taking videos, etc. It took me quite a while, the main problem was (I think) that I forgot I was wearing glasses while I was trying to do it and I don't have glasses on in my driving licence picture! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green