OT: Transferring documents from Vista and XP to Win 7

Your arithmetic you mean? MS...1975.

Win. ACLs is FAR superior to *nix-like systems, so your "crude" is also the wrong. If anything it is far too sophisticated - to the point where I would argue it is unusable. Unless one is setting ACL's every minute of the day, then not doing it, for a 2 week hol., and you have to damn near re-learn it. I can still set *nix security same as I did in 1993 - and get what I set. Play with Win. ACL and it's a gamble that you get what you want. I suspect you do not like Win. security because you do not understand it - but then, not many people do.

Reply to
jake

well everything up to XP which is the last version I bothered with.

After that it became clear that apart from running two programs (and XP in a virtual machine did THAT) windows did nothing that linux didn't do better.

I have happily ignored it since then.

And all the costs so incurred.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why should I BOTHER to understand it since I dont need it and don't run windows beyond XP in a VM and thats only to run two programs on,

I have suffered Microsoft since Dos 2.0. I had to support it professionally. It has always been crap and finally linux overtook it GUI wise around windows 98/2000 ish.

Why would anyone still use it if they didn't need access to some program that mandates it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

People use windows rather than linux because they can.

Reply to
dennis

No, it,s because they can't. And it came on the crap they bought from PCworld.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How the hell do you work that one out?

Windows NT version 3.1 it was.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Nope, I use it here because I prefer to.

I've tried out various Linux distros over the years (I usually seem to try one out every year or so, and there is one machine here that has it as it's OS, but doesn't get used very often)

But has never been compelling enough to make me want to change

Reply to
chris French