OT: Town gas -> Natural gas ?

Nope. Coal gas was about 2/3rds as dense as natural gas.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In article , Lobster scribeth thus

I remember it being done in Cambridge as soon as possible as it wasn't so poisonous at town gas. They were worried about the number of students ending it all with their head in the oven;(!..

It from what I remember of it was done very quickly by gangs of fitters.

Mind you how they got all the bits to turn up when the Gasman traditionally came to call and then wasn't seen for weeks whilst getting the bits remains a mystery;!...

tony sayer

I remember it. The process was not dissimilar the the more recent program of replacing gas mains with those yellow plastic ones.

They did a few streets at a time. Gas turned off and what was left in the pipes flared off from pipes in the street. All the appliances were modified with new burners. (if your cooker was too old it was replaced with a slightly newer one). Then that section of pipe purged and the gas back on. A team working on a few street would be a day's work.

Reply to
djc

They did well to be able to operate an area which had two types of gas in it. They must have known the pipe layouts better than seems to be the case now. I suppose the range of appliences was smaller then and most would have been supplied at some time by the Gas Showrooms.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Which reminds me of the story, must be from about then - guy decides to end it all. After sitting with his head in the gas oven for an hour, he gives up, and has a cigarette...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Are you sure it's not the other way around ? Natural gas burns with a blue flame. Yellow would imply the presence of another element.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

What colour are the flames in a coal-effect gas fire?

What colour is the flame in a bunsen burner with the air thingy shut?

Reply to
Clive George

The colour has to do with the gas/air mix. Either gas should burn with a blue flame if the amount of air mixed with it is correct. The amount needed, however, is probably different for the two types of gas.

Did you never use a Bunsen burner?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Are children allowed to use them nowadays? I bet they don't stand them on asbestos mats. Can you even have gas taps in a classroom nowadays?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Vir Campestris writes

To which the only response can be boom boom ...

Reply to
News