OT - Tis a filthy shame

What the helll has happened to chocolate-cream eclairs?

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

In message , Arthur2 writes

The ones I make are the same as they ever were - why?

Reply to
Si

Nothing,they're in the bakers shop not the butchers.

Reply to
George

In message , Arthur2 writes

Gone the same way as rind on bacon ...

Reply to
geoff

eclairs?

That reminds me of something I've long found puzzling. Now that bacon with the rind on is impossible to find in supermarkets etc, I've taken to visiting a local-ish posh butchers, occasionally, to get my fix. Sometimes I'll get a couple of T-bone steaks while I'm there.

So how is it that the mediocre steak on offer in supermarkets has to have "die by" dates on it and apparently turns instantly toxic at the stroke of midnight, while the really good steak on offer at the posh butchers has been nailed to a wall for a month without suffering any ill effects?

-- Rob

Reply to
Rob Hamadi

Rob Hamadi wrote: ometimes I'll get a couple of T-bone steaks while I'm there.

Loads of reasons. Supermarkets buy the cheapest bulls/bullocks for their butchery. They think the redder it is, the more appealing it looks. The meat is never left to hang before cutting, or if it is, then not long enough.

Proper butchers get the carcass in, then let it hang for however long they think is required. This is all at low temps., so not a health risk. The meat is then more tender. Proper butchers also know what cuts are where - 1 told me Sainsburys were selling silverside as steak once, and when cooked as steak, it would be tough as leather. They know if they have cut it up which bits are best - few, if any, supermarkets get the whole carcass in, they are usually ready packed / cut up on arrival. One I deal with sometimes tells me to get rump steak this week, then another week he'll tell me the sirloin is the best from this animal. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Never mind eclairs what about Elephants Feet ( big cream puffs absolutlely stuffed with double cream)

Reply to
cynic

It's the consumer who likes the meat red.

The length of time for which beef has been hung will also determine how flavoursome and tender it is; 10-14 days is a good length, though some super-premium beef is hung for longer, up to six weeks.

Morrisons hang their beef for 14 days.

Proper butchers still have to think about cost and profit though.

Reply to
Mogga

Choux buns. Mmm.

Reply to
Mogga

Sorry. They just looked so nice. Perhaps next time don't leave them where I can see them.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Only through ignorance & marketing..

SWMBO is a qualified cook. City & Guilds in Catering, with distinction. Came before NVQ'S (not very qualified). She reckons that beef should be brown with cream fat, not red with white fat.

Thats where SWMBO buys our Sunday joint - and its wonderful!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman