OT timing belt replacement

The scrap value is about 250 quid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup.

First I've heard of that. Rolls Royce and Rover used side exhaust and overhead inlet. In the days of low octane petrol. Others, because it was cheap. MG as far as I know never used a side valve engine from the Morris parts bin. And they had to use the same fuel as others. One major problem with side valves is cooling them properly - even RR would suffer from burnt exhaust valves. With the Ford side valve, it was a near everyday occurrence, if driven hard. ;-)

The Jaguar XK engine dates from the '40s.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just to add, I think it was popular because of the long stroke engines brought about by the RAC taxation formula. You can have bigger valves to the side than in the combustion chamber.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you prefer... either way, its unlikely to suffer from cam belt failure!

(not that it helps me now - the current one has got cam belts and shafts all over the place!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Cash, at a scrap dealer - though I think he was going to sell it as a runner.

Reply to
Bill Taylor

motorway to catch a plane.

ISTR about 20-odd years ago carburetted engines were suffering icing when the winter fogs arrived. It happened to SWMBO taking the kids to school one morning, and there was loads of posts about it on the biker group at the time. I believe something hadn't gone right with the 'winterisation' of the petrol, and the problem disappeared in a few weeks.

Terry Fields

Reply to
Terry Fields

motorway to catch a plane.

I had carb icing in July on the motorway maybe 25 years ago. It was in the evening but it had been a stinking hot day and was still humid as hell. Been running for half an hour or more and the car lost all power, pulled over and after a bit of fiddling about checking for fuel and a spark etc it started. Set off and the same happened again, I suspected it might be fuel vaporisation but I ripped off the filter and looked down the inlet tract and it was solid with ice.

The hot air pickup from the manifold was missing. Bodged something up so the engine only picked up hot air and not cool from outside.

Reply to
The Other Mike

The classic example is the Escort 1.6D - nobody ever changed a belt on those and because it wasn't a serpentine, it just went on and on forever. I know of several vans that never had it done and finally went to auction still unchanged at 250K miles. Otoh, the 1.8D engine was an utter bastard for snapping belts at 60K miles - like clockwork. More twists and turns in the belt. Ford were alarmed by that, because their initial recommended interval was something like 80K iirc.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Essex V6 - chronic for stripping the teeth off the cam wheel. A shitty fibre-edged wheel which was designed that way for noise reduction. It's a common thing to replace those with decent all-steell crank and cam wheels.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The Ford straight-six in my truck uses fibre timing gears, and those engines have a reputation for being pretty much bomb proof - looking at the dates, they're of a similar era, too (1964 for the straight-six and

1966 for the UK* Essex six). I suppose that given the size of Ford as a company though, perhaps it's not surprising that they got it right on one engine and wrong on another.
  • I didn't know until now that there were two "Essex V6's" - one designed and built in the UK, and one designed and built in Canada (and if the theories are to be believed, the Canadian Essex has its roots in the humble Rover/Buick V8, with two cylinders lopped off).

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

The one in our Toyota (1MZ-FE) is doing pretty well - it's about 90k past its supposed replacement interval; it's become something of an amusement to see how long it lasts before going bang.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Probably fewer harmonics set up in the straight one, at a guess.

That actually rings a bell - Istr the odd reference to a N.American "Essex" engine, possibly GM.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

No, this was a water cooled flat 4 with metal cogs IIRC.

Reply to
John Rumm

The belt on my £300 Fiat Marea estate car is an engine out job to replace - so 120K and still going.

(It's a stretched Brav* with a 2L 20 valve 5 cylinder lump shoehorned in so it as fast as a fast thing - except that I'm looking after the belt now do no high revs)

Reply to
Pete Shew

Well of course. A brand new cam belt on a Skoda will instantly double its value!

Reply to
berkstunt

Well done for recycling old jokes.

Reply to
Huge

  1. Why are you replying to a post that's six months old?
  2. Why make a joke (I use the word 'joke' loosely) that's been old and out of date for decades?
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The clue is in the gmail address. I've noticed a fair amount of this in a number of groups recently. It's possible that Gurgle Gropes isn't showing the dates of posts clearly enough for Gurgle Grope users to read and understand it.

Reply to
John Williamson

Indeed. Modern skodas are excellent value machines.

I'd certainly get one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I know of a local cab firm who have a fleet of them and they have no complaints to speak of whatever...

They tend to get around 300K miles before any serious probs, all diesel ones mind....

Reply to
tony sayer