OT Thunderbird

I've used the original Mozilla suite, Seamonkey and Firefox & Thunderbird seemingly forever. I simply cannot get on with the recent "enhancements" to Thunderbird.

Today I finally bit the bullet and reverted to the 4 year old version 2.

Bliss!

No tabs. No 5 line headers needing the Compactheader add-on. No double spacing all over the place requiring a special theme. No random opening of new windows all the time (never found a cure for this).

And it's FAST.

Why don't they leave things alone?

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

'Cos they got bored supporting it?

Or because some of the security flaws that have been found can't be fixed without a total re-write?

Reply to
John Williamson

After years of using Mozilla stuff but late last year:

I had problems with Thunderbird using it with Eternal September (now moved to opera for NGs and RSS)

I had problems with Firefox needing to try and load many pages more than once. (Now using Chrome)

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

ahh.. that's still the default 'icedove' here..(Debian Lenny)

As you say, when running well, leave well alone..

I recently 'upgraded' to Firefox 9 and its broken half my usual websites..they are not intending to fix it before version 10..

Meanwhile I am using Ie6 in a virtual machine that I have for 'making sure web sites will work with IE6'

Because as I discovered many years ago successful engineers destroy the jobs they just had..

..come 1983 there really wasn't anything left to do in analogue electronics that a competent technician couldn't do except in RF and I was bored with that, or chip design, but that meant moving to the far east or California..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have no idea, but its a pain in the neck. In a way it makes many go and download windows live mail, which is simple effective and seems to work on most versions of windows and needs no extras. its enough like this Outlook Express to make conversion to it easy for those used to Microsoft stuff. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

But security issues do not deman a complete rewrite of the way it works only of the code with the holes. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Sometimes it gets to the point where the attempts to block the holes mean that the code and documentation are so tangled that a re-write is the easiest and most sensible option.

You're right, though, the user interface could have remained consistent to itself, except for the way that there was pressure to make it consistent across the whole Mozilla platform. Ghods know why, though.

Reply to
John Williamson

Heh, I'm never satisfied (not what the wife says, mind) and keep swapping things .. but I always come back to Firefox for t'internet, Xananews for usenet and MS Outlook for emails.

To save googling (I'm lazy) what's Sea Monkey and why should I use it?

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Bad form, I know, but wth .. Just downloaded it to try. I've never heard of this before, dunno why!

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Quite right. The same can happen when features are added especially if the additions are bodges.

Reply to
Tim Streater

John Rumm

Its the successor to the original mozilla suit that included browser, email/news, web authoring and various other bits all in the one integrated package.

Reply to
John Rumm