OT: Thomson router firmware

My brother has a Thomson TG585 router supplied back in the day by Plusnet. I'm told it says version 8 software 8.2.7.8. Is there a way to un-plusnet it, turn off the ADSL bit and make it work nicely alongside (well a long CAT5 cable away) another router to boost the woeful wifi in an older house? On client devices, it just takes you to the Thomson web interface and wants a signs in, and the DSL is down (we know that - it's not plugged into the Thomson!)

Is it landfill fodder or is a re-flash doable?

Reply to
Part Timer

You can probably reflash it, just need to find some suitable firmware.

The Thomson routers are /very/ configurable, only you have to do that in their own language over telnet - the web interface only scratches the surface of what they can do. So can probably do what you want even if the Plusnet web interface won't do it.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Disable the DHCP and make sure the IP address does not conflict with your main router. No need to change firmware.

Reply to
Michael Chare

reset it and use default login details ? Username: admin

Password: The serial number on the bottom of your router router. It begins with the letters CP.

ensure that you type the username in lower case and the password in uppercase

-
Reply to
Mark

I think the exact format of username/password used may vary according to the date they supplied it.

Also you can contact Plusnet and ask them to disable its serial number within their TR069 server, just in case someone plugs it into a phone line.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I had to dig out an old Thomson router to fault find a problem. Login details here

The format of the user/password differs with the age of the unit.

Firmware info here

Reply to
snot