OT The Vulcan Bomber

I don't like it. It's had a history of unaddressed vulnerabilities, admittedly it was a mere 5 out of 25 known vulnerabilities versus 25 out 75 for IE at the same time that Opera's score was zero out of zero.

The Pentagon's endorsement to use this instead of Opera as "The Safe Alternative" to IE only arose because it was less vulnerable than IE and was totally free. It seems the insignificant banner add in the free version of Opera was what disqualified it from the 'recommended' alternatives. The rest, as they say, is history.

There's also the issue of the time required for SpyBot S&D's immunisation check to deal with FF's identical immunisation requirements to IE often taking longer to perform than a scan for adware/spyware and malware crap that suggests it's rather badly written and at least as vulnerable to driveby downloads as IE (Opera is protected only to the tune of 43 bad plugins).

Also Opera is faster than IE6 which is the fastest of all the later versions of IE.

No, I've given up on that forlorn hope many years ago. My problem is that none, absolutley none of the later versions of NT were palatable replacements to make retirement of win2k a sensible option. Not even today but Linux Mint with VirtualBox looks to be about the only practical way to avoid the worse excesses of Microsoft OS developments.

It certainly does. In my case the host OS _isn't_ going to be a Microsoft product when I next upgrade the hardware beyond win2k's reach in about a year's time.

Just as you might well expect. :-)

Reply to
Johny B Good

I think even the argies admit that the Belgrano was a legit target...

Reply to
John Rumm

ISTR they reckon the Thorpe Bay and Shoebury coastline to the east of Southend would also be in the firing line - with the potential to at least take out some windows etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

One could also argue that he was not prepared to invade without total air superiority, and the Battle of Britain put paid to any early thoughts along those lines.

Reply to
John Rumm

I only ever walked through the one at Ducksford... seem to recall it was tiny inside - I could not even stand properly in the isle!

Reply to
John Rumm

I was in a friends back garden a couple of years back and a pair of Apache gunships flew over...

I really would not want to be anywhere near those when they are doing what they are designed for. Not only do they look evil, they well and truly sound it as well! I can quite understand why your average Afghani insurgent would loathe them so much.

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , Johny B Good scribeth thus

I'll give it a try then....

If it already isn't there..

Well it just works;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

/ >>Played here fine on a WIN 7 machine thanks;)... > > Just as you might well expect. :-)

Well it just works;!...

--Tony Sayer/q

FSV of works...

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Much like the copper chopper here then. They frequently buzz around here at all hours with some sort of floodlight on. It's quite intimidating, and enough to make small children woken up by them cry.

Then we read their twitter feed, usually telling us they couldn't find the car/person/whatever they were looking for.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

A few years ago I started to find the police helicopter caused me pain in my ears - albeit not severe. Has largely resolved now but was very unpleasant when the damn thing hovered around at very low altitude and for many minutes.

Reply to
polygonum

I remember one night there're radio Broke thru on my scanner receiver years ago they were trying to identify someone on the ground and had a few bobbies chasing this suspect with a coupe of police dogs. They just picked the part of Cambridge thats full of doggie lovers and the resulting mess on the radio was as good as what the keystone cops could have got up to;!.

It was shall we say very difficult for the chopper observers to tell who was the police and who was Joe public out with his dog....

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , JimK scribeth thus

Yep ticks tickety boo;!..

I like this Opera one 'tho/?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Am I to take it that you've actually installed Opera 12.16?

If so, you need to know its default setup is a little kakameemee imo. I suspect you might like it more when you press the "Opera" button just below 'File' on the extreme LHS of the toolbar and click on the 'Show Menu Bar' 2nd item up from the bottom of that dropdown list.

After that, click on view and move the cursor to the 'Toolbars' and slide across to select and enable Panels, Main Bar, Address Bar and the Navigation Bar in turn until you have a more bog standard complement of toolbars.

After that, from 'Tools' select preferences at the bottom of that list (or just press CTRL+ F12) so you can change its startup behaviour.

What I normally do is to google for wikipedia and go to before setting my homepage preference so that I can change the default 'continue from last time' to 'start with homepage' and click the Use Current button to set it to wikipedia. You can use the same routine if you wish to set a homepage of your choosing.

I've got this routine off to a fine art after installing the one and only web browser I can trust to do the right thing with PCs brought in for repair. I reckon my customers can handle the idea that there's no need to do something so stupid as to set the homepage to google.co.uk when the default search engine is already set for google (such default being adjustable to any search engine of your choosing). In any case, the wikipedia page is as close as you'll get to a page devoid of fancy advertising and other annoyances.

Another thing you might want to do is reprogram the default Speed Dial boxes to useful websites or simply blank them out. I've got the first four programmed to bleb.org's BBC1 through to BBC4 TV schedules and the next 4 to the actual BBC TV schedule pages (the ninth is left blank).

Strictly speaking I could leave them all blank and just create a bleb.org and a BBCTV folder in the bookmarks list with each of the 4 shortcuts stored there (I've already done this for the BBC TV listings pages which lets me open all folder items in one go).

Another nice feature is the excellent download manager which will start buffering the download as soon as you've pressed the first save button that takes you to the 'save to' dialogue box where you can decide on the destination of the downloaded file if you don't want to use the last location.

If you're downloading a CD iso's worth from a fast site, you can take your time browsing and even creating new folders safe in the knowledge that you're not holding up the download process as is the case with IE (I'm not sure about FF - I suspect it does the same, so nothing new to you but you're welcome to advise me if it is otherwise :-).

Reply to
Johny B Good

The problem I saw at the time was not the action, but the words. Had the PM said "Yes, it might have been steaming away at the moment we attacked but it could have turned round at any time. It was still a a threat." Whereas we got untruths and confusion.

Reply to
polygonum

It was zigzaging like combat ships do.

Reply to
dennis

I gave up with Opera when they removed the Home button. Have they reinstated it yet? Other than that it used to be my regular browser.

Reply to
Andrew May

It was in a war zone, that was the point. And it wasn't there on a yachting trip, either.

Pedants might remember that the Bismarck was steaming away from the UK some of the time, too.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes done all that as suggested above thanks;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

That sounds like the crap version based around the "latest fad" web rendering engine (versions 20 something). If you want the 'real deal' stick with v 12.16 for now until the devs at Opera 'see the light' and go back to what they do best.

Reply to
Johny B Good

In article , Johny B Good scribeth thus

Thats why Firebox now has an add on to remove the chrome whizzy look to it;!(...

Reply to
tony sayer