OT: The proposed pumped storage scheme at Coire Glas

Of course

((4500+kg+*+20779+square+kilometres)+%2F+(14*24*60*60+seconds+*+seconds+*+seconds))>
Reply to
Andy Burns

So how long to transport all of Wales into space?

Reply to
alan_m

Not that I've any idea what you're talking about - treid it out on ChatGPT4, and It thinks:

Reply to
RJH

Most of it is already there.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The dimensions of power are mass x length squared / time cubed even google knows that; if ChatGPT can't work in units of elephants, double-decker buses and size of wales, what hope has it got of taking over the world?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Did you mean km^2 ??

Reply to
Tim Streater

That's not what he's asking.

Reply to
Tim Streater

IOW, it's asking you to verify by dimensional analysis that the stated units - kew/f^3 - represent a unit of power.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I was thinking along the lines of what we were taught at school, many years ago, which involved reducing everything to fundamental units of LMT. I never did grasp it, and if on the odd occasion I tried to do it, it came out wrong I never knew if it was the way I'd done the analysis or the formula I was trying to analyse.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

D A tells you whether the answer you've got could be right, as in. do the units make sense. It doesn't tell you whether the answer actually is correct.

So, f'rinstance, speed is distance in a given time, so has dimensions of L/T. If you calculate a speed and it comes out as 20 tons (a mass with dimensions M) then you better try again.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes and power is L^1 M^2 T^-3

Reply to
Andy Burns

And you'll notice that (unprompted) google gives the answer in watts.

And I now suspect that I not only got the m^2 vs km^2 wrong, I'm also out by a factor of (14*24*60*60)^2, but nobody noticed that :-)

should have used wolfram alpha ...

*+area+of+wales%29+%2F+%28one+cubic+fortnight%29>
Reply to
Andy Burns

I should just give in today

M^1 L^2 T^-3

Reply to
Andy Burns

By Grabthar's hammer, never give up, never surrender.

Reply to
Robin

I suspect fear of committing lèse-majesté :)

Reply to
Robin

Computers understand little, but in some areas beat us by huge margins. AI will too. Therein lies both reward & danger.

Reply to
Animal

The solid fuel used in the space shuttle boosters will have created some interesting pollution. It consisted of ammonium perchlorate and aluminium all bound together with rubber. Visitors to the site when a launch was due were advised to cover their cars in plastic sheeting to protect the paintwork from the hydrochloric acid rain.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

I don't know what you were thinking of, but the primary use of a "Saturn V moonrocket" is indeed the Apollo program.

I vaguely remember that some of the upper stages were H2+O2, but there was a visible smoke plume from the first stage.

I don't know. Either way.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris