OT: Taxan monitor problem

My beloved 21" Taxan 2160TC095 computer monitor woke up dead this morning!

No power light, no familiar rumble as it bursts into action. The power lead is good, and works with the monitor I'm using as I type this.

Can anyone suggest the best NG to go to to ask for advice? Unless there are any experts here, of course!

I've taken the plastic case off - and inside is a multi-piece metal case which looks as if everything is fixed to everything else - so no easy way to get in, and no obvious fuses.

[Yes, I know about potentially high voltages in there!]
Reply to
Set Square

IF you can get through it's 'armour' :-( the power supply will possibly have dry joints on the circuit board?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I've got an elderly but IGWO 865+LR sitting under my desk, that's heading for the tip one of these days. East Anglia if you're interested.......

Reply to
The Wanderer

maybe uk.comp.homebuilt - or

Michael Chare

Bit like me. I wake up dead every morning. I don't know what force enables my limbs to find the coffee preparation equipment!

sci.electronics.repair

I had an Audi car with an engine a bit like that... And I have a Taxan multivision 875 a lot like that (which unfortunately is suffering focus and sync problems and is heading to the skip when i find a replacment).

If you are sentimentally attached to it, a look by a experienced tech shouldn't cost that much. If looking for a replacement, a request on uk.adverts.computers or even freecycle may be successful.

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

I haven't had a monitor fixed for a decade but when I did the local TV shop was quick and cheap. Not so many around these days though.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Pity.

The thought of your hair smoking and your eyes sparkling as you meet your maker after carefully earthing yourself, was mildly amusing.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Dead link. Try this

Weatherlawyer

sci.electronics.repair. Might be the power supply unit, or that might be shutting down to protect something else eg something amiss in the line output area. But if its not degaussing at switch on, likely to be something simple on the psu, eg a fuse, burnt track, damaged switch etc. Shouldnt be hard to follow with a multimeter if thats what it is.

I guess you know the lethal voltages can be stored in the thing for a week after last use. Discharge HT caps and EHT before servicing. EHT needs to be discharged 3x to make it safe, as it partially recharges itself. Mentioned for the benefit of anyone that might not.

NT

Reply to
meow2222