OT; Strictly Come Dancing

Hmmm, I've a jar of arseofoetida in the spice cupboard.

Didn't think it was made from foetid dingoes kidneys exactly.

Apparently tastes like fried onions,- or so they say.

DerekG

Reply to
derekg

Just saving on production costs.

I went to a recording of Just a Minute some years ago. They recorded two shows, one after the other. At the start of the second recording, Nicholas Parsons welcomed the audience and said how much nicer we were than that for the previous show - to much laughter from the audience.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

nit exactly, it is RANK BUT it adds something to a strong curry or to vegetables.

Try it.

Also try tamarind essence. I wasn't aware it is the 'taste' of HP sauce'....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As much as I'd like to watch the *dancing*, I simply cannot tolerate the constant clapping-along to every number by the audience. Like Pavlov's dogs, they start immediately the music begins. Sometimes they get the timing wrong and the clapping falters a bit, then picks up again. Drives me totally bananas. Maybe because I'm an amateur musician and find such a practice inordinately annoying. Like when you're playing the piano and a young sibling or cousing decides to have fun and go plinkety-plink on the keyboard. This would never have happened in the "good old days" when audiences politely watched and listened to the performance, then applauded at the end.

I've even heard mention that the BBC *likes* it this way, namely with the audience clapping along, because the producers reckon this *adds* something to the show! Idiots.

MM

Reply to
MM

Some of that music is absolutely dire too. Doesn't seem to go with ballroom somehow.

Reply to
stuart noble

Something that irritates me is, on the results show, they will have an act like II Divo performing - and dancers in front of them.

Who are you supposed to watch/applaud/appreciate?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They're the same producers that decide that the feet don't need to be shown

- this has ruined every Argentine tango especially. Oh, and there must be a moving camera so that the relative movements are wrong. Pillocks.

Reply to
PeterC

I guess that would be up to the act performing. For me it vastly improves that part. I don't need to watch 4 blokes whom I can hear and do like to watch the dancers.

Reply to
PeterC

It must play havoc with the novice dancers' timing. Now everybody gets a standing ovation too.

Reply to
Jim S

And, at the theatre, they would never have been allowed to carry a couple of pints of beer into the auditorium to drink while 'watching' the show.

How do they know and I suspect the figures are doctored who knows ;-) I doubt many from around the world watched stricly but the figures were probbely counted from the UK only and maybe those aged 40+ . If course most reriement homes and hospitals and those places were you can;t change channels probably have strictly as the default setting for saturday evenings.

it's the men ?

Nice observations.

Exactly .

or Brucie is a time lord, he's certainly old enough :-D

Reply to
whisky-dave

whereas now there are offered plastic "glasses" in which to carry their drink. At our amateur theatre we don't allow drink inthe auditorium - we are concerned about damage to carpets and seats. there can be a lot of muttering.

Reply to
charles

The whole thing is vastly improved by the operation of the switch on the TV marked "Off".

My wife watches this mindless twaddle, but due to the wonder of modern DVR technology, I need never see a moment of it.

(Along with Coronation Street, Downton Abbey and gawd knows what other tosh she watches.)

Reply to
Huge

What did I tell you?

Reply to
Jim S

+1

I'm amazed at the number of apprently clever and intelligent people in here that admit to watching it. They'll be admiting that they watch tosh like Britains Got Talent, X Factor and so on next! (And if those progs last screened ages ago, I had to google for the titles...)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On my part it is watching the women. The best bit is when they run up the stairs seeing which ones have most bounce.

I do appreciate a good dance routine too.

Reply to
Thumper

That Kristina Rihanoff usually wins that one :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Natalie Gumede, after her Argentine Tango, won it this weekend.

Reply to
Thumper