OT - stored emails and Android - Xpost

then you have to accept that you need a cloud to connect it to. And if you cant build your own, it will be someone elses.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do you want a bet? Every text message ever sent is stored and kept and there are far more of them.

Reply to
dennis

You do know that you can hack wifi encryption within the hour?

Maybe, maybe not.

Reply to
dennis

No, you do not.

You have _no_ idea if they're using POP (with the mail only stored locally), POP (left on server) or IMAP. Or even if they've got an agent running on the mail server to forward everything to GMail or Yahoo or some home-built mail server that's rotten with rootkits and malware.

Reply to
Adrian

I remember doing a big mail migration project at a law firm - all the fee- earners were adamant that they really did NEED absolutely EVERY email that was in their mail folders. After all, They Might Be Vital In A Court Case. Yes, they were adamant that DID include EVEN the ones arranging to go to lunch with their missus eight years ago...

Any IMAP client will allow you to have an offline copy, which'll be synched both ways as soon as you're back online.

Dead easy. You just open the .eml in whatever client, with another folder structure using GMail/IMAP, then copy everything from the "local archive" folder to the GMail folder.

Reply to
Adrian

I'm a big Gmail / cloud fan, but I accept that that is a personal preference.

In terms of security, however, have you considered the risk of loss or theft of the android tablet, which I suspect is inherently less secure as a device on which to store your entire back history of email (being portable, small and desireable)?

Personally I would be more concerned about a petty thief nicking my tablet than I would about my gmail account being password-compromised in terms of likelihood.

Matt

Reply to
larkim

And, indeed, how you'd recover from such a loss - where's it all backed up to, and how recently?

Reply to
Adrian

Uh...Duh!

{Slaps head in disgust}

Yes - in Windows Mail configure an IMAP connection and just drag and drop.

A quick Google suggests that you get 15GB per account (and no limit on the number of accounts??) so I could easily set up a new account for the tablet and then add it to WM and just haul everything across.

I think I'll give that a quick test - one issue is that I think WM will MOVE the messages whereas I really want a COPY.

Although I just have to duplicate the message store or restore from a backup immediately after the move.

Grumble...losing my touch...grumble...used to do this for a living....grumble....

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

====snip====

You think you've got storage problems? :-)

That's nothing (a mere half a terabyte's worth). Just to give you some perspective, I've got about 175GB's worth of personal data (mostly photos and home movies created over the past 8 years) along with just over 9TB's worth of TV recordings made during the last 7 years.

The smallest HDD in my four drive (not RAIDed BTW) NAS4Free box is a

2TB Samsung that's now clocked a PoH figure of some 26793 hours (just over 3 years run time[1] in the server - I don't use spin down power saving).

The rest of the drives are a 3TB Hitachi Cool Spin, a 4TB WD RED and a 4TB Hitachi Deskstar. At the moment, I've got 1.7TB free on the server which aught to hold me for the next 8 or 9 months before having to upgrade the capacity (hopefully a 5 or 6 TB drive by then _and_, also hopefully, the folder creation bug in Quixplorere will be also be fixed by then).

[1] 3 (possibly 3 1/2) years is the longest tour of duty any of the server drives have had to sustain. Obviously the exponential HDD capacity upgrades are finally starting to overtake the approximately linear rate of data accumulation.

The retired drives are normally recycled for archival duty but the last 2TB SpinPoint that was pulled out of the NAS box to make way for a larger drive was beginning to show signs of its age (now also just over 3 years old) so I'm not too keen on using it again without at leas running some comprehensive diagnostics to see whether it can be redeemed in any way.

Up until a couple of years ago, the relatively short tour of duty (1

1/2 to 2 years) quite nicely avoided age related failures. Now that the capacity upgrade rate per replaced drive has reached the point where the time to exhaust the capacity has reached the 3 ot 4 year mark, the problem of disk failure has become a somewhat more significant factor. I can see me replacing drives ahead of the capacity exhaustion time simply to head off disk failure.

The only consolation is that I may reach a point where I can reduce the drive count and choose "Sweet Spot Priced" drive models rather than the "Almost Bleeding Edge Pricepoint" max capacity models I've had to use to keep ahead of my increasing data storage requirements.

Reply to
Johny B Good

Yeah, that's pretty minimal. Anything you can backup on a single 2.5" HDD is nice and small.

I've got to do a "go through and delete the crap" session with my NAS, which is coming close to filling its 6Tb now. I've already excepted

2Tb of it from backing up to the backup NAS...

Cheers - Jaimie

Reply to
Jaimie Vandenbergh

I'd be inclined (before going on holiday) to gather together all the logins and passwords that might be required, and save them on the tablet in encrypted form. And not to save them in the tablet browser when entering them on each site, ie treat the tablet as you would a "public computer".

It might also be a good idea to look into those "remote lock/wipe" apps for the tablet, at least if it gets nicked you can remotely wipe it over the internet if you've got anything personal on it.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

On Wednesday 06 November 2013 20:40 Mentalguy2k8 wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Android has remote wipe built in - you have to activate it on Google.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yep K9+IMAP works for me, with a bit of discipline moving older stuff into archived folders by year, I only have push sync on the inbox and sent folders, you also have to accept that any mobile app is going to be light on features compared to full-blown desktop software.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Actually if you enable 'opportunistic' TLS on a server, about 20% of other servers take up the offer these days.

If you want to enforce encryption, you can then enforce TLS on a domain-by-domain basis, but backup MX servers tend to follow diferent rules and you can then shoot yourself in the foot and end-up not delivering until someone's primary MX comes back.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Two step authentication goes a reasonably long way to allaying many of thes e (paranoid) fears.

Matt

Reply to
larkim

That's a pale and shallow imitation of a fully-functional EMail client, though. K9-Mail (which the OP has already said he's using) is much better.

The built-in EMail client has annoyed me on more than one occasion by:

a) QP-encoding message headers even when they only contain ASCII, so that other mail clients that don't expect QP encoding in these fields (such as "Subject:") display them in their unintelligible encoded form.

b) Not creating "In-Repy-To:" or "References:" headers in reply EMails, so that in other clients (such as Thunderbird -- that use these headers to display the messages of a conversation threaded together) the threads are broken.

K9 isn't perfect, but it's very much better.

Cheers, Daniel.

Reply to
Daniel James

While the built-in email client will allow you to read emails without problems , be aware that if you send or delete emails they will NOT end up in the IMAP folders. Another option is to access your IMAP email via a Web client like mail2web.com . Gives easy access to all the IMAP folders. You can set it up with all the account details stored .

Reply to
robert

Better than the built-in yes, but I didn't like or get on with K9 for some reason. I use Maildroid (free, the paid for is quite pricey for an app but it's probably worth it).

Donno if Maildroid would help the OP with his mega mailstore.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have located what looks like a promising stored email (.eml file) viewer

- spookily called EML Reader.

It can't see my SD card at the moment but I am talking to the developers and they are expecting to fix it soon.

That is one of the nice things about Android - cottage developers of Apps producing small items of software.

Microsoft more or less killed that off for Windows, many decades ago.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts