OT "Standing in a queue"

Which in turn reminds me of the missing "o" sound (leading to stresses on different syllables) on "laboratory" - in the UK: "laBORat'ry", in the US: "LAB'rat'ry" which always sounds like "lavatory" to me :-)

Reply to
NY

"Fortnight" is a bit illogical. We don't have a word for 3 weeks or 4 weeks or 5 - So why for two weeks?

When I was young my parents would refer to the the time of (say) 3:35 and "five and twenty past three".

I thought this odd even as a child. Was it common-place?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I.e. a vocabulary of less than 200 words.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

People on sink estates in South London speak Spanish? Wow.

Reply to
Huge

The pronunciation of 'solder' can lead to amusement...

Reply to
S Viemeister

As in 'four-and-twenty blackbirds.

Many years ago it was, and it still is, in German.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I hate the word "Gotten"

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I've gotten used to it (and rather like it). ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Ther's also 'sennight', of course.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not as much as I hate "burglarize".

Reply to
Huge

It would be odd. That's five and twenty to four. Common when I was a child too.

Reply to
harry

I wasn't aware that "wanker" was an acceptable word in US English

you learn something every day.....

tim

Reply to
tim...

I've forgotten it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

harry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Whoops - Typo. 3:25 of course

Reply to
DerbyBorn

There's 'senight' in Shakespeare for one week.

Reply to
The Other John

There's 'senight' in Shakespeare for one week.

Reply to
The Other John

My step daughter went into a post office in Peterborough and asked for a dozen first class stamps and was told 'we don't sell dozens' so she said 'can I have 12 then?' and they said yes!

Reply to
The Other John

I said that. But I believe it's 'sennight'.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Perhaps they shit in the bath.

Reply to