OT - sneaky phone spammers

AIUI you can bar foreign numbers and undisclosed numbers (sometimes at a price). Just missed what must have been an automated SPAM call.

1471 revealed "The last number was 01234567890" So either someone has the ultimate killer telephone number or this is just another sneaky attempt to get past call barring.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Last I looked, Bedford 567890 was being "reserved" by OFCOM

If you feel like checking, it ought be be within

Andy Burns

The most sneaky one is to spoof your own number as the CLI!

Reply to
John Rumm

That'll be NU. There are no Bedford numbers beginning with a '5'.

Reply to
Huge

Have you thought about buying a truecall unit?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not thought about call screening hardware as the level of calls is manageable without.

Then again, new toys........

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Their website has quite a few spellink errrors on it though I notice.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

FYI The number 0123456789 was an electronics supply company in London during the

80's/90's they waited 8mths for it to become available. Can't remember their name but they always had a full page add in Practical Wireless/Electronics etc. CJ

AIUI you can bar foreign numbers and undisclosed numbers (sometimes at a price). Just missed what must have been an automated SPAM call.

1471 revealed "The last number was 01234567890" So either someone has the ultimate killer telephone number or this is just another sneaky attempt to get past call barring.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
CJ

OFCOM should mandate free anonymous call rejection by all operators and a ban on faked 'UK' caller ID.

Reply to
The Other Mike

There are no more digits with an 01 number, so where does the 9 come in?

Also 071 and 081 replaced 01 during 1990

Reply to
The Other Mike

It doesn't matter the exchnages would ignore it and connect to 01 234

5678 anyway.

The 80's came before 1990. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

> IMHO OFCOM should mandate free anonymous call rejection by all operators and a

From my point of view,I agree. But our GP surgery insists on making calls without a presentation number. They seem scared that people knowing it is them compromises privacy (or something like that).

If they have a valid case, how do you handle it?

I would prefer a mechanism (which I have suggested before) that upon getting a spam call, you dial a special number which automatically reports the call. This would allow the experiences of everyone to be merged - and would be able to collect information from the system itself as to the sources.

Reply to
polygonum

Yes, I know, but but who had 01 234 5678

But the OP did say 80's/90's and 01 was only around for about three or four months in the 90's

Who was the company that got this 'golden number' ?

Reply to
The Other Mike

>>> IMHO OFCOM should mandate free anonymous call rejection by all operators >> and a

That's for the individuals concerned to resolve

The mandate to make ACR available is to make it available as an opt in, not enable it automatically at the exchange for all subs. If you chose not to receive calls from your doctor that's your problem.

As to banning fake IDs, that's just rhetoric. It's unenforceable by the Telco [1] (except by threatening to terminate the contracts of people who are caught doing it).

tim

[1] assuming that the presented number is part of the valid range, of course.
Reply to
tim.....