OT: Smell memories

Why do we smell things and forget what it's a smell of? Yet you wouldn't forget what the sigh or sound of something was.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Some people also attribute colours to sound and smells and smells to other senses, so a good deal of interpretation of sensual information is actually in the brains software. We come to that old chestnut, is the read two people see the same colour, and I'd imagine smells are the same.

Smell and taste are tied up together as well, which is why some people cannot eat near smokers of course. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've always wondered how someone else would see colours. Perhaps it's similar, as all animals seem to respond to red as a warning. But then again, Mr Smith might see red like I see blue, but has learned that it's the colour red and is for danger.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Brian Gaff expressed precisely :

Well, I don't know what this was in reply to, but...

I have a well developed sense of taste and smell, but I tend not to notice them much unless I'm paying attention to them. Sight and sounds are the ones I mostly respond too.

However, a couple of weeks ago I had some trouble with my cars washers and found it was due to that horrible mess which can sometimes form in the water, so I dumped and flushed it onto the garage floor, to drain away. Big mistake, because it really smelled terrible, the same smell as a few days before when out in the car, which I put down to something they were spraying on the fields.

That has long since drained away and dried, but paying attention, I can still smell it in the garden, near the garage and definitely inside the garage.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

How on earth did that get into your washers?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Like Marcel Proust's madeleine dipped in tea moment in Remembrance of Things Past.

Reply to
Caecilius

Brian, you are feeding Peter Hucker who is a well known troll and sociopath. Hucker is a 43 year old unemployable loser and always will be.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

One day you might post some useful information instead of making fun of every single person in here.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

My favourite smell is bleach.

Reply to