OT: Skeletons of the Mary Rose: the New "Evidence"

Did anyone else see this hilarious Channel 4 "documentary" "proving" that the Mary Rose had an African crew? How they managed to pack so much BS into one hour is nothing short of
astounding! It should be up for a comedy award. ;-)
On Saturday, 25 July 2020 19:41:49 UTC+1, Martin James Smith wrote:

No, I missed it so thanks for letting me know. I won't comment until I've watched it. I was one of the volunteer divers for several seasons so I do have a special interest.
John
On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 12:24:00 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Curious the way the free divers were recreating the descent to 15 meters wearing flippers. I had no idea flippers were available to the free divers of the late 16th century. Still, live and learn, eh?
On 25/07/2020 21:17, Mike McLeod wrote:

They could have held on to stones or some other heavy object as a means of descending. I thought I saw a picture of the wreck being brought to the surface on TV at work one lunch time. Must have been in the 80s. Interesting what they can learn from the DNA of the human remains, though it is odd that there are any.
--
Michael Chare

On Saturday, 25 July 2020 22:00:23 UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:

There were certainly plenty of remains. Mostly bones, teeth, skin, hair and in one case I know of some brain tissue. Plenty of scope for DNA analysis. In general, organic material was well preserved by the anaerobic silt that covered everything. So wood, fabric, leather, rope and similar materials were preserved. Silver, pewter, and copper alloys were well preserved and to a lesser extent iron. John
There did seem to be a gross misunderstanding of centre of gravity which led to the loss in the first place though. Brian
--
----- --
I was ill when it was raised and watched it live. A bit of a heart stopping moment when the weight made a support slip as it was beginning to come clear of the water. I'm sure that lady must have been in the water longer than anyone else as everytime you saw her she was in there. I remember being amazed they got colour TV pictures from there, but well that was a long time ago now. Brian
On 25/07/2020 21:17, Mike McLeod wrote:

Yep https://tinyurl.com/gayfisherman
On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 19:41:46 +0100, Martin James Smith

Maybe that's why it went down.
No, but maybe it was written by the same team who proved the ancient Egyptians were visited by aliens. Brian
--
----- --
Martin James Smith wrote :

It was a repeat - all they proved was that at least one member of the crew was of African decent, rather than that the crew was African. The bone analysis indicated that he had spent his whole life living in the UK, so his parents had maybe come to the UK from Africa.
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 09:53:56 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Big mistake giving him the navigator's job!
Hazza was thinking very hard :

It wasn't a navigation error which sank it.
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 10:23:26 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

+1
In those days they didn't know much about ship design, centres of gravity and buoyancy etc. The Mary Rose was bordering on top-heavy, especially with all the extra 'marines' on deck, ready to do battle with the French. When she came about to bring her port-side guns to bear on the French, she listed enough for her open starboard gun ports to become submerged. Water poured in, with the inevitable result. If they'd closed those gun ports, things might have been different.
--

Chris

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 09:53:56 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

Well over a thousand years previously there were Syrians patrolling Hadrians wall. And thousands of years before that at least one person came from central Europe and got themselves buried near Stonehenge.
What would be earth shattering would be a study which suggested that no one ever came to Britains shores from anywhere ever in the history of ever.
On 26/07/2020 10:50, Jethro_uk wrote:

Well put.
These Syrians, they come over here, stealing our jobs...
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 10:59:20 +0100, newshound

Yeah, and the Romans, too. What did *they* ever do for us?

You should have a nice trip to USA or NZ and go around telling everybody there's no such thing as a Native American or Maori people. It'll be a while before you post to Usenet again.
--
Algernon

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 13:11:43 +0100

Good job you gave it the pathetically moronic response it deserved.
Hurrah for The TurNiP!