OT: Sea on fire

An amazing bit of footage of an undersea gas leak that has me puzzled.

Supposedly a burst pipeline but I?m puzzled by the redness of the sea. Presumably the gas can only burn when is mixes with air above the water but the glow looks like light from the burning gas is originating from below the surface of the water.

Probably just an illusion but odd nonetheless.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Maybe the orange glow is within the cloud of steam/spray from the fire hoses trained on it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

"The turbomachinery of Ku-Maloob-Zaap's active production facilities were affected by an electrical storm and heavy rains."

Reply to
newshound

We shall see :-)

I suspect the oil company were eager to downplay oil pollution. However, too many people are interested now. Someone who understands these things will explain it.

Reply to
Pancho

I just have no idea what that means. I'm a tinsy winsy bit suspicious that the leak had been ongoing and was only exposed when it lit up.

Reply to
Pancho

It's a gas leak in the Gulf of Mexico, now extinguished by pumping nitrogen down the pipeline. Quite how the bubbling gas on the sea surface ignited is a moot question.

Reply to
Andrew

A lightning strike?

Reply to
charles

I might have thought it was more environmentally sound to allow the gas to burn rather than enter the atmosphere unburnt.

Reply to
Fredxx

Can I sell you a tinfoil hat?

You cant lie about shit like this: too many people know the truth. And to be seen to have tried to cover up is far worse than having the issue

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think you need a shrink

A little paranoia is sensible, but really....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Surely they will never put it out till they turn off the gas and fix the leak. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

There might be a trace of oil but I expect that it is mostly methane and other low boiling point hydrocarbons perhaps up as far as pentane. Traces of sodium from the sea water will ensure that the flame is nice and bright yellow irrespective of how clean the burn is.

Bubbles in the water are making the sea look white.

Any kind of spark will be enough. Many oil rigs perhaps surprisingly have flare stacks to burn off excess gas so that could have provided a source of ignition once there was a big enough bubble of gas escaped.

It is just about possible for phosphine from swamps to spontaneously ignite on contact with air but I have no idea if it is an impurity in natural gas from wells. Once it is lit then it stays lit until you do something pretty drastic to put it out.

Reply to
Martin Brown

No, I will get mine from a reputable dealership, not from someone who drives an Arthur Daley car.

Standard PR, lie about the event just after it happens, i.e. minimise your culpability when everyone is listening. By the time a nerd explains what actually happened most people will have lost interest.

The journalists are also sceptical, I guess they just don't have the scientific ability to openly contradict the Pemex account:

---Quote--- Angel Carrizales, head of Mexico's oil safety regulator ASEA, wrote on Twitter that the incident "did not generate any spill." He did not explain what was burning on the water's surface.

Reply to
Pancho

Actually there are are some good videos of it if you have a google.

Most interesting

Ta

Reply to
ARW

Except that if they are also trying to repair damage on the nearby rig, and there is a risk of gas leakage while doing that, the last thing they need is an adjacent ignition source.

Reply to
newshound

After seeing more video footage of the fire I can see how close it was to the rig.

Reply to
Fredxx