OT: Rolls Royce on track to deliver SMR

Rolls Royce, who uniquely do not employ Art Students to design power stations, have completed feasibility studies on what will be if it comes to pass, the first reactor design in Britain to have been designed by engineers for low cost mass production, using no new or exciting technology, just doing well known stuff better and cheaper.

interestingly they address the issue of synthetic hydrocarbon fuel as well as potential hydrogen generation.

The cost estimates are encouraging.

3-4 times cheaper on electricity than any renewable, and only twice the current price of fossil on aviation fuel.

And capital investment in reach of private finance opening the way to build power stations for the likes of pension fund investors without needing government financial support.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message <s05djh$3jh$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, The Natural Philosopher snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid writes

I'm rather taken with the seismic isolation concept, 1.5 acre concrete raft on a bed of pebbles!

Cooling water has always seemed to be an issue for siting nuclear power. Are these small enough to manage with towers and a pond?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I was taken with his choice of words: "we believe that nuclear power can really mushroom". :)

Reply to
GB

I think nukes always were. Seawater is just cheaper.

lets face it if a 1.2GW CCGT can get away with a cooling tower, a 46MW SMR should be able to.

And of course other options exist. Low grade heat still has value. Think of undersoil heating for greenhouses nearby.

And they are of course linking it to desalination as well - a nuclear power station using seawater to cool it and evaporating and condensing fresh water is a handy thing to have.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
<snip>

;-)

And I wonder how many would want one ITBY, even compared with a solar farm, wind turbine(s) or a biofuel / gas powered station?

Obviously Turnip would be happy with it in his BY ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

But it can cause massive corrosion problems

Reply to
charles

If things continue at this pace, excellent news.

Especially the possibility for desalination - plonk a few of these around the parts of the world that need water and consider the electricity a handy by product :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Isn't the electricity /used/ to do the desalination?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Humour fail :)

Although, come to think of it, no. Well, not necessarily.

Nuclear reactor. Shedloads of serious heat (i.e. >100C) might as well just distil the seawater. Unless you want to extract metals by electrolysis I guess ?

It is possible to reclaim desert (or so I have been told) if you can irrigate and foliate enough area to start releasing water. Although it has to be *very* big.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

AIUI the mainly use reverse osmosis, not distilation.

Reply to
Pancho

You've come around to the idea of hydrogen generation?

Reply to
Pancho

You mean like what I was suggesting a few days ago ?

:)

Or something else ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

But would only need to pass through the seawater pipes, pumps and heat-exchangers, with a duty, standby and backup arrangement. As corrosion takes effect, one can be taken out of service for replacement/refurbishment, still leaving a duty and standby.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I've got my order in for one. Should power this locality nicely. Just need a few mods. Not enough room for solar farm, wind turbines and I don't want more carbons going into the atmosphere - defeats the objective.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together.

Solar farm - doesn't work much in winter, or at night all year round. Wind turbine - f****ng noisy if you're near it, doesn't produce much and often none at all. Others - no gas to this village.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Mostly that doesn't seem to have been a problem. After all seawater cooling has been used on steamships since whenever

filters blocked with seaweed seems to be more common

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Actually no.

the waste heat does that.

Boil some seawater, channel the steam through a condenser (cooled by more seawater) and voilà! - fresh water

You would probably build it just for that, since steam is what comes out of a PWR.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Most deserts I have known will grow anything as long as you add water.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, I think it is a shit idea. But its fashionable among Art Students Gimme synJet any day run my car and my central heating on that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I only mentioned it to keep you happy. Same as RR did. The nuclear industry is playing to the green gallery with cheap zero carbon electricity and 'hydrogen'.

The fact is that if RR can make the prices they claim and the government doesn't get NutNutzed, they will wipe the floor with renewables.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher