OT Remotely connecting to PC

Hi All,

Since lockdown a few friends have asked me to sort out their windows 10 PCs. I was thinking that this would be a lot easier if I could remotely connect to their PC over the internet. I run Ubuntu and was wondering if anyone has come across a neat solution to this. Opening up router ports / port forwarding etc would be challenging as that would be beyond their technical ability.

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks

Lee.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

I used NoMachine myself. Free and available for Linux and Windows.

But isn't there a Chrome addon that does it ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

You could open up a port on *your* router, proided you could talk them through an install of VNC on their PCs? Then you ask them to make a reverseVNC connection to your IP addr and that gives you remote control of their PC ...

Otherwise AnyDesk or Teamviewer I think are free for non-commercial use.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Scratch that for Ubuntu ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Lee Nowell explained on 27/08/2020 :

Does Teamviewer not work on Linux? It's free for 'personal' use so as long as you don't take the whizz you'll be fine - teamviewer.com

Reply to
Cliff Topp

Cliff Topp laid this down on his screen :

Yep, Teamviewer works on Linux

Reply to
Cliff Topp

Does dynamic IP addresses on the Windows 10 PCs add another hurdle to connecting.

Reply to
Robert

I used to use TeamViewer and now I use NoMachine. I can't remember why exactly, but I think the free version of TeamViewer was logging me off after a few minutes, trying to get me to buy the commercial version.

Reply to
Pancho

No, it just connects

Reply to
Cliff Topp

Teamviewer is free for non commercial use.

However there is a relatively new entrant:

(it does not need chrome and is multi platform).

Reply to
John Rumm

Oh, has that changed then as it used to be available on Ubuntu (and free), albeit that it actually ran under WINE (as I've had / have it here on several such machines)?

To Lee, you can (could?) also run Teamviewer on your Smartphone if you are caught out.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Because (I believe it) it uses their server / DNS to establish the connection.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Didn't realise teamviewer had a linux version, but unlikely that anydesk does...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I tend to assume any such free service will either go commercial, or go away, hence VNC being my preferred option ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

They don't have a native Linux version but one that downloads like a .deb / APT package and runs automagically under WINE (re Ubuntu etc).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

There's something here called Remmina.

Windows has RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol), the details of which probably change from one Windows release to the next.

I think I had Windows-to-Windows running here once, as a test, but generally, I hate remoting. It's like wearing a garbage can on your head, as a hat. Feels claustrophobic. I think part of that could be that my screen isn't big enough for this stuff. Maybe a 4K screen would be nicer (more tolerant of the variability of the target machine).

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Windows RDP works with multiple screens, it uses a virtual display driver so isn't dependent on the display of the remote machine.

I'm generally happy with RDP, W10 to W10, I use it a lot. I did play with RDP from Linux to W10 a couple of times. However, I'm still using a W10 machine for my TV so it wasn't quite good enough.

Reply to
Pancho

There is an even better win 10 to win 10 app called Quick Assist. No faffinf with ports or routers, and it is really just like being at the remote computer at the physical location.

I use it all the time with the Outlaws, installing office 365, their new Web cam (all they had to do was plug it in at their end when asked to) installed their printer drivers (they bought a new printer) plus all the useful utilities found on Ninite.com (what a time saver)

If you are not a windows 10 user, then you can fire up a windows 10 virtual machine on your own PC and use Quick Assist from that VM.

S.

Reply to
No Name

With RDP only the remote user can see the display, and also when you logout, it leaves the local display on the login screen.

So for some applications where both local and remote need to see what is going on, or for doing remote assistance its less useful. Particularly if trying to interact with a machine doing some kind of "display" activity like running a TV or video presentation.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, I have two very distinct use cases. Which is why I use NoMachine and RDP.

If I want to work as if I was sitting in front of a remote computer, I much prefer RDP. This use case being analogous to the old idea of a remote mini computer and a terminal. If I'm just using a computer as a terminal, I don't need a powerful expensive one, hence my interest in RDP from Linux to Win 10. Something like a slightly more powerful Raspberry Pi would be OK.

If I want to interact or work collaboratively I use NoMachine (or Teamviewer or VNC)

Reply to
Pancho