OT: reception problems

I guess you should be Dover too? We are up on the Downs just here so in theory could receive other transmitters - although our aerial points at Dover. We've occasionally had signal problems but it's only since the rewiring that there's been the NO SIGNAL issue.

Reply to
Tim Streater

How much extra cable?

Good quality cable PF100, etc, has a loss of ~20dB/100m @ 865MHz.

So, 10dB loss compensates for between 50m of additional cable @ Ch. 68 and 65m @ Ch.21.

Reply to
Terry Casey

Bit hard to judge. No more than 20m I wouldn't have thought. I asked him to add in enough extra cable that it could, later, be rerouted to a dish on the rear wall, if, as SWMBO fears, snooker and tennis move to Sky. If they do we might end up needing a Sky sub.

Reply to
Tim Streater

We're supposed to be using Bluebell Hill but the Dover signal id a lot better from where we are.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Due to the arrangemnet of hills, we are on Dover from 40 miles away. Have not noticed any problems.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The attempts of electricians when the venture into TV reception work are a lucrative source of income for us.

You can't 'restore signal' after it has been attenuated because of the noise generated in the amp.

Your signals were marginal before. You've added cable and connectors between the aerial and the amp, thus irretrievably lowering the signal/noise ratio. Put a 16dB masthead amp on the aerial powered from the dist amp (if it will do this; most will).

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright