[OT] Re: Caring for Pets Left Behind by the Rapture

For a fee, this service will place your dog or cat in the home of a

> caring atheist on Judgment Day. > > > Many people in the U.S.will be a Second Coming in their lifetimes, > followed by the Rapture . > In this event, they say, the righteous will be spirited away to a > better place while the godless remain on Earth. But what will become > of all the pets? > > Bart Centre, 61, a retired retail executive in New Hampshire, says > many people are troubled by this question, and he wants to help. He > started a service called Eternal Earth-Bound Pets that promises to > rescue and care for animals left behind by the saved. > > Promoted on the Web as "the next best thing to pet salvation in a Post > Rapture World," the service has attracted more than 100 clients, who > pay $110 for a 10-year contract ($15 for each additional pet.) If the > Rapture happens in that time, the pets left behind will have > homeshumans to carry out the mission. "If you love your pets, I can't > understand how you could not consider this," he says. > ----------- > > BillK > > _______________________________________________ > Skeptix mailing list > snipped-for-privacy@lists.opn.org >
John Stumbles

Rod

*wonderful*
Reply to
Catman

Blast, that was exactly the word I was going to use in my response!

Reply to
Clot

Of course not! Even "caring" is pretty generous of them.

Read your Dante. Medieval theology had a problem with the "virtuous pagans", the classical Greeks who were clearly worthy, but pre- Christian and thus unsaveable. They were condemned, by dogma, to an eternity in Hell. So as Dante describes, Hell was envisioned as having suburbs. Still in Hell. Still Damned for Eternity, but light on the actual pitchforking business.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In message , John Stumbles writes

That deserves spreading around a bit

Reply to
geoff

Arghh - 'envisioned' - what an horrible Americanism :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Tiny tweezers?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Search for "Phil, Prince of Heck" and his Spoon.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember John Stumbles saying something like:

Hah. Bart must be fairly sure he's not going to be saved.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Or pets?

Reply to
Bob Martin

A bit like this then ?

'm coming to the conclusion Eternal Damnation is not the deterrent it once was.

Brian Howie

Can't be worse than being stuck in 'heaven' with millions of sanctimonious merkins! T'would be a god-forsaken place.

Reply to
PeterC

Or, as I said to the man on a soap box who called me a sinner

"I can't possibly be, by definition"

Reply to
geoff

Not necessarily. He may not intend to honour the contract - Christians have been known to lie ;-).

Reply to
Gib Bogle

... or if that's a bit heavy, Niven & Pournelle's "Inferno" will give you the idea.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

That's in Dante too - 14th circle of Hell, where bad PC journalists are forced to read Pournelle novels for eternity.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Like "ESCAPE FROM HELL, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, is now shipping. This is the story of a science fiction writer who finds himself in Dante's Inferno. It might be subtitled Vatican II meets Dante. A number of readers have reported favorably..."

:-)

Reply to
Rod