OT: Rant about PC World "cashback"

I think applies to gift vouchers after they have been credited to the account. But if you spend that much I can't imagine them hanging around that long.

Reply to
Andrew May

Afraid not!

Domestic stuff and work stuff too. Books for the Kindle, books for work (but only about £300 p.a. for the latter). I have Amazon Prime, so often that gives them an edge on price is delivery is 'free' (OK, I pay £49 p.a. for Prime, but the whole family qualifies for it).

Recently: a monitor, a cookery book, cat treats (not many people do this paticular one), wall planner, 'special' shower gel for son's girlfriend... (!), DVD drive, KVM, Lindstrom cutters, two Corsair computer cases, CPUs, motherboards, hard drives (cheaper from CPC but their packing is rubbish), DVDs, deep fat fryer....

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bear in mind that the cashback is from HP's marketing department, not PC World.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

I expect its actually a pre-agreed limit debit card rather than a credit card - sorry I was being sloppy with terminology.

They probably issue loads of them against a single account, then rely on the fact that it might not get used at all, or someone will use it to buy something to 95% of the max value and then not bother to use the remaining small change etc. Must admit, I am quite tempted to simply slap it in a cash machine when I get it and draw it down in one hit.

Reply to
John Rumm

That'll kill you more surely than PCBs.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

A deep fat fryer is more likely to be a source of dangerous BCBs rather than PCBs.

Reply to
Steve Firth

For the teenagers, not me.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Badly cooked bugs?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Steve Firth

I feel hungry now. Mmm... bcbs.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

...fondue set, set of saucepans, cuddly toy (continuing in Generation Game conveyor belt style)

Are you inventive enough to make these purchases via an associate account to reclaim a few % of that huge spend?

Reply to
The Other Mike

No...although until recently I was getting Nectar points! I do get sales via an associate account though.

Reply to
Bob Eager