OT: RAC, cynical? Me?

Last year I was wondering when my RAC cover was due to renew. I had bother logging in, forgot about and it renewed shortly after.

Yesterday my spider senses must have been tingling because I wondered again. Couldn't log in apparently wrong password. Did the password reset thing, no email forthcoming. Gave up.

This morning I get a text message that my cover has renewed.

Reply to
R D S

In message <tlvnbv$1m17u$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, R D S snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

This is presumably because you agreed to auto-renewal. Its obvious benefit is that you won't accidentally be left without cover. Without checking, if you don't want cover I think you can cancel within 14 days.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Indeed. But it's the inability to log in to their site at renewal time that's making me wonder.

Reply to
R D S

You were providing the wrong details or the site was broken for everyone. The shit that would hit the fan should it turn out they were gerrymandering the renewal process is not worth it.

Reply to
mm0fmf

I doubt that there's anything suspicious going on. As it's been renewed, can you do it now?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

they did me a deal for three years so stuff auto-renewal

Reply to
Jim gm4dhj ...

One reason why I hate auto-renewal is that you can get a substantial reward if you rejoin using a cashback type website.

You can also get good quality service from smaller entities.

Reply to
Fredxx

I had no problems getting into my RAC account when mine renewed. Don't they also have a phone line?

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

I gave up with the RAC years ago when they said they had IT problems and couldn't renew anyone for two or three months. They also misplaced my account.

My view was that misplacing my account, potentially when I was calling them from the roadside, was not an acceptable state of affairs.

Reply to
Bob Eager

As it turns out it was me being an absolute berk.

Reply to
R D S

This is the problem, i'd be happy with it auto renewing but it was £60 quid 3 years ago and £80 this time. As is always the way absolutely no thanks for being a loyal customer* rather than wasting everyone's time and effort by playing the system.

*And i've never needed them... touches wood...
Reply to
R D S

Never never agree to auto renewing. It'll catch you by the shorts eventually. They all promise to remind you of the renewal date bit not ll do .I.M.E.

Reply to
fred

You can be sure that they'll remind you that it's about to expire when you *don't* auto-renew!

Reply to
Roger Mills