OT: Pylon power?

I was driving home in the dark the other day and noticed some pylons with flashing red beacons on top of them.

I got to wondering how they were powered. Obviously no shortage of nearby power but probably not the right kind of easily accessible power just to power up a beacon. Anyone know how it?s done?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Induction would be one way to do it. The fault detection devices hung on the cables, which can also show flashing lights to guide repair teams to a fault, are powered that way.

Reply to
nightjar

Agreed, although the electric field at ground level is also enough to make a 6 foot fluorescent tube "strike", if it is held vertically.

Reply to
newshound

Filling gaps...

Richard

I can feel the buzz on my metal white cane when I'm near a pylon, but I am not sure about enough current to supply a bright flashing light on every pylon. Were these on top of a hill?

You might, on close inspection find its just a boring connectionto the mains underground somewhere!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Unlikely, I think.

Back in the days before GPS, a friend of a friend took out one of Heathrow's "radio" navigation beacons when they had a JCB man in to dig a swimming pool. The driver didn't even notice.

Reply to
newshound

Miss October is a stunner:-)

Reply to