[OT] Problems with nickel

A business news report today noted that in the last three days the price of nickel has doubled each day, from $25k per ton to $50k and then to $100k per ton.

In an unprecedented response, the London Metal Exchange has for the first time suspended trading in the metal.

The first doubling essentially added $2k to the price of a Tesla.

There was no comment on how this would affect the price of electricity via the renewables programme.

Reply to
Spike

Russia has 10% of world nickel production and 7% of the reserves.

I'm sure if the price holds above the $25k figure for long, indonesia/philippines etc will be incentivised to step-up production ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

This was mentioned in the report. Apparently Indonesia had passed a law making it mandatory to export the metal rather than he ore, the problem being that at present they don't have the industrial processes in place to accomplish that...

Reply to
Spike

There used to be a hike in prices every four years, when Aussie nickel miners' wages were reviewed and they went on strike. While Australia is no longer the top producer, they do have some of the largest nickel reserves in the world and this could prompt them to reopen some of the mines that closed after the last price slump.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Those eco-loons who bought EVs are going to regret doing so pretty soon if they aren't already.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Not really, just means the cars scrap value has just increased by $2k

Reply to
Andy Bennet

The $100k figure isn't "real" it's the result of short-sellers being caught out, yes they really did have to pay that price to get out of even higher losses, but anyone who actually wants to buy nickel metal, rather than buy themselves out of a hole likely won't pay the price.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Allegedly a lot of the movement was due to traders gambling on the price and then having to unwind their position.

Or something similar.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

If they have already bought one, they are probably pleased the resale value has just increased...

Reply to
John Rumm

You'd have thought with the madman Putin in charge of so much of the worlds hydrocarbon supplies, even the like of Doom would see the need to go to alternatives.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yeah, it?s especially tragic given the way petrol and diesel prices are plummeting.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I've got this self-digging hole, would you like to invest in it? Sounds like a boat, or a horse!

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think the coast off Brazil and Venezuela has the largest reserves, mostly untapped at the moment.

Reply to
Andrew

Expect a rash of thefts ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It says in my paper that Which? did an analysis. The extra cost of an Electric MINI will take 10.5 years to recoup in saved fuel, servicing etc.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

It's avery expensive little car.

Reply to
charles

Wonder how that has changed along with fuel prices?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News