[OT] Prius bashing

My first post gave details of the bias, if you bothered reading.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

The issue isn't electricity use, but electricity generation.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's actually pretty easy. The biggest problem may be providing a suitable outlet in the inlet manifold if the car doesn't have a brake servo (many Minors have had one added) If it has you use a T piece and rubber tubing to the valve and then simply wire it up to the ignition. It is closed with the ignition on, open when off, so lets air in to stop the engine when you switch off.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No it didn't. It just mentioned 'that stupid dust to dust report'.

If you wish to challenge that report at least give details of another which does. Seems even Toyota was unable to do this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depends on how you cost your labour replacing engine bearings every 30k miles.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's red hot exhaust valves, or carbon thereon.

You get a sort of glo-pug compression ignition.

Probly needs a decoke and a shade of ignition advance..that keeps the valves cooler. Set the gap correctly, and then loosen the distrubutoir and rotate while idling until it start to slow down, then set it as far advanced as possible without slowing..a shade of over-rich also helps keep the valves cool.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They didn't claim it meant much really.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's something very wrong if you have bearing problems on a Minor 1000 at those miles. More than double that would be a decent average. The earlier 803 cc engine didn't last long, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This from the king of repeating advertising blurb as fact.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If there's no easy way to plump into the inlet manifold then there is anther method. (used by Chrysler on Carter carb equipped engines amongst others) It's an electromagnetic solenoid acting on the throttle stop, it maintains a high (normal) engine speed with the engine running and allows the throttle to close to a low (curb idle) speed position with the ignition turned off. having said that it's still prolly more trouble that it's worth to fit.

You could just switch the engine off with it in gear and simultaneously switch off and raise the clutch pedal. (other foot on brake)

Reply to
Julian

I'm not sure if this is a serious comment - sorry if it's not. The A series engine will easily do at least 70k with regular oil and filter changes. And when it needs re-building you can DI(mostly)Y for pocket money.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

I meant 'philosophically' rather than 'practically'...

Not this one - she's still on the original 'no servo / drum brakes' setup. Heavier than the servo'd RAV4 on the brakes - but perfectly OK...

Understood. I did ask on the Morris Minor Owners' Club forum (they were equally scathing about the 'magic catalyst' !) and the general consensus seemed to be mixture or timing first, with a de-coke next...

Somebody suggested a quick blast up the motorway - sadly not an option. Don't know where I'd need to go to find a motorway - the nearest traffic lights must be 30 miles away .

Lots of the travelling is done at (relatively) slow speeds - and there's a daily trip to the local village which must be all of 8 miles round-trip (and it's downhill all the way there) - so maybe a longer trip every so often might help to blow away the cobwebs...

Many thanks Adrial

Reply to
Adrian

Now we are starting to get complicated !

I've got an instinctive aversion to fitting 'things that stop an engine and have to be energised to make it run normally'.... IANL I was involved in 'fail-safe' design...

I *could* - but it's a bit brutal - don't think I've not thought of it !

Many thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

OK - understood

Grand - thanks ! If it wasn't such a foul day (we had the dry spell overnight !) I'd have a quick look at it today....

They're promising better weather for the weekend

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Ah - I know a man who can

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Running rich helps the petrochemical smog too. They all need scraping or at least banning from urban areas along with other heavy polluters (not CO2) like buses.

Reply to
dennis

Most buses can be hybrids, which is an ideal setup for their usage with brake regen, etc. In the 1950s the Germans used flywheels in some buses to clawback kinetic energy. Or buses can be just electric, which some are.

Yep, older engines pollute like crazy. The secret is eliminating the piston internal combustion engine. It can only ever be dogs ear, no matter what they do to it.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please eff off you are a worthless troll.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I think that buses should be banned, period.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Find out how they work and acheive, and running on only petrol as well. Drive a Prius and your mind will be changed for ever. Superb!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel