[OT] Prius bashing

It can be carbon, but the combustion chamber is sort of heart shaped and the peak between the two valves can glow red hot causing the petrol to ignite without a spark. Relieving this peak by grinding can help.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

She is Israeli..already.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Well, yes. But not how you actually think that part is flawed. Toyota said it was but refused to give any data to back that up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Born in Clapton, my life.

Reply to
Andy Hall

near enough.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Ah - that rings a bell somewhere in the back of my mind.....

Thanks

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

What would be be wanting with them begorrah, we bought a tumble dryer with a grant from the EU so we did.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

OK - I did query it - but they seemed convinced (and they do know their Moggies)

OK - I'll put that on the 'shopping list'

Ok - that's a thought.... doesn't really bother me, the running on, just curious....

The car was set up by the MM Centre about 6 weeks ago - so will be due for a service before too long. Will take the opportunity to check timing & mixture then...

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

No - but have you got any of that Lucky Heather ? (and that must be a cue for a joke.....!)

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

(c) All of the above.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The only thing missing from the article was any observation on the fact that the state of charge of the Prius battery is never checked in these tests.

Other than that it's interesting how many points made here (all denied by Drivel) are made in that article.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Oh here we go. Make accusations of 'bias' then run away when challenged to give details of said bias.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Doesn't the cost of alkalines mount up rather quickly? And what about the pollution potential of all those batteries in landfill?

How far can you get on a pair of AAs?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Just a leg.

But she's busy sueing a photographer at the moment so I can't get my hands on the other one.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You can often cure the problem by reducing the idle speed, reduce it as much as you can , but stop short of it staling on you all the time.

Ford had a real problem with this with their Kent (escort etc) engines years ago. They provided a retrospective modification kit which was an electrically powered air solenoid valve that was plumbed into the intake manifold - switching off the ignition removed power from the solenoid and air flowed into the manifold, the mixture was weakened and it didn't run on.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

And ripping people off for 20 years then too.

complete con. Tin pellets in a black tube. Tin isn't soluble in petrol to start with and even if it was it wouldn't do anything constructive. You're running OK on unleaded because the valve seats are hardened from years of use and the engine isn't in a high state of tune. The black tube is doing f*ck all to help the situation. A series engines tend to run due to combustion chamber heat which is why the A+ SU carbs had a fuel cut off solenoid operated by the ignition switch.

Reply to
Dave Baker

ITYM all new petrol engined cars. Without the cat they wouldn't clean up the air. Its pointless telling drivel as he won't understand.

Reply to
dennis

Rubbish.. its just a marketing gimmick like fuel offsets. It lets people burn electricity and think they are doing something to help.

Reply to
dennis

OK - that would be an easy one to try....

Sounds complicated (in relation to the remainder of the vehicle !)

As I say - not a big deal - just a bit comical when people watch 'admiringly' as you arrive, and then look a bit confused as yu kill the ignition and the beast coughs and splutters for a few seconds before finally deciding that 'stop' is a good plan....

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian