OT: Premier Inn pricing.

Does anyone understand Premier Inn pricing? Ended up using one recently. Original idea was to find a small country pub that did B&B, but they were all full, so Googled for the nearest Travel Lodge or Premier Inn. The PI was nearer at only about 20 miles away, and said prices from 49 quid. Got there and the cheapest they would do was 89. But checking online later, discovered it would be 68 the next day. I didn't check in until 9.30 pm, and they didn't appear to be busy by the number of cars in the park.
--
*If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done? *

On Sat, 09 Apr 2016 00:52:44 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Ghastly places. I would sooner sleep out in the rain than ever use one, owing to the awful Lenny Henry adverts.

The one I stayed in was absolutely brilliant
large room, spotlessly clean, with the most comfortable bed that I think I have ever slept in, quiet location and curtains that kept the morning sun out
I need nothing more from a hotel

what a stupid reason for boycotting a hotel chain
tim
On Sat, 09 Apr 2016 09:32:51 +0100, tim... wrote:

Indeed. Although a plus point is that the later adverts play Katie Melua.

Lenny Henry's bad enough, but it's that awful shade of purple they use that also does it for me.
Almost the colour of beetroot in fact.
michael adams

I shut my eyes when I go to sleep
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 4/9/2016 9:49 AM, michael adams wrote:

I agree with you both about the adverts and the purple, but I have always found them spotless with excellent beds.
They are experts on price discrimination
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_discrimination
I don't think I have ever used one at their minimum advertised price, I've always been constrained as to date and location, but I have always found them to give acceptable value.
wrote in message

Actually I'm rather more worried about their claim, repeated on the TV ads and the website, that they "guarentee you a good night's sleep"
Something they seem to lay a lot of stress on.
Which to a cynic like me at least, they could only be really sure of, if they pumped something special into the bedrooms through the air conditioning ducts. Either that or impreganting the pillows.
Or failing that slipping micky finns in the cocoa
I find it all a bit creepy myself.
michael adams
On 4/9/2016 2:41 PM, michael adams wrote:

Before I retired, I sometimes used them on business trips. After something and chips in the evening, plus several pints I always found I slept fine.
wrote in message

Indeed. But their "guarantee" isn't limited to seasoned users who are accustomed to a big meal and a few pints before turning in, is it ? Without even looking them up, I'd imagine the statistics for the number of insomniacs in the UK is impressive/scary, depending on your point of view.
What Lenny Henry and his Purple Paymasters are promising there, is a "good nights sleep" to insomniacs who might not have had a good night's sleep in years. And that's in their own homes.
So how is this possible, I ask myself ?
michael adams
wrote in message

Its possible because not enough of the insomniacs bother to show up to see if they can get a good nights sleep there and get their money back when they don’t. That's no worse for PI than if they didn’t show up in the first place and will presumably see quite a few choose to stay at PI instead of their opposition instead, and don’t claim because they aren't insomniacs and did sleep well.
Presumably there are also a few spivs and con men who deliberately stay there so they get to stay there for free knowing that they can just claim that they didn’t get a good nights sleep when they actually did. But presumably they do keep records of who they have made a full refund to and only ever give them a full refund a few times and then tell them that they aren't going to get anymore refunds if they show up again.
wrote in message

Who is going to stay at a PI, phone the reception at hourly intervals throughout the night so as to prove that they're not getting a good night's sleep, simply so as to get a refund ?
michael adamas
wrote in message

You don’t have to phone reception at all thru the night to get a full refund when you say you didn’t get a good night's sleep in the morning.
On 09/04/2016 14:41, michael adams wrote:

We use them often enough and they've always been good value.
We claimed on their guarantee twice with no arguments from them. On one, the fire alarm went off when some idiot thought it might be fun, on the other some drunks caused loud chaos outside the room and wouldn't be moved.

Indeed. But that isn't actually guarenteeing you a good nights sleep, its merely guarenteeing you a refund if you don't get one.
Which isn't actually the same thing.
That's like selling parachutes that are guaranteed to never fail, and bereaved relatives explaining just how much compensation they'd got when one did.
What I was taking it to mean, somewhat mischeviously no doubt, was that no matter how many fire alarms went off, no matter how many drunks chose to party in the rooms next door, with maybe the occasional earthquake thrown in, they guarenteed that you'd sleep through it all. Waking totally refreshed in the morning.
michael adams
On 12/04/2016 12:18, michael adams wrote:

I appreciate the difference. But I also appreciate the refund! Similar disappointments in other establishments would probably have got me nothing. No argument if it's a Premier Inn.

My main complaint was although a near new building, the room was cold when I got there. About 14C. You could heat it up using the noisy air-con unit. But that didn't heat the bathroom which was far too cold in the morning. The corridor outside was warmer. ;-) I assumed it was underfloor heating since no rads or whatever - just the box with the air-con unit.
Room was clean and more than adequate in size. Wasn't impressed with the bed - too firm with a too soft covering. And horrid sheets etc. Seemed to be some form of pure synthetics.

It would have been OK at half the price.
--
*The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered*

On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 12:29:45 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Chris French wrote:

Yep, I normally find the rooms too warm...

I "claimed" a couple of times, no problems what so ever. Unlike Travel Lodge which I stayed in on a Friday or Saturday night and got woken up in the wee small hours by a load of drunks coming back after a night on the piss. I was away working so not best pleased, it was quite a battle to squeeze a 50% *voucher* out of them. A voucher with a 6 month expiry that almost ran out before I had the chance to use it.
As a knock on from PI's Goodnight Guarantee is that they segregate those staying on business from those on the piss as much as they can so they don't end up giving full refunds...
--
Cheers
Dave.

I've stayed in the PI in Sheffield on numerous occasions, and it's a perfectly acceptable hotel.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 28th day of Discord in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.

The one I stayed in would have been acceptable at the 49 quid it said on their ad, but not at 89 quid.
--
*Haunted French pancakes give me the crepes.*