OT : Potassium Bicarbonate

That's why they invented dialysis.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Perhaps their business model is to get repeat custom from you.

Although I would agree that insufficient salt is a problem but unlikely in a Western diet.

Reply to
Pamela

I guess you were told a high salt intake would cause your kidneys to lower your potassium levels.

It gets a bit more complex because almost all potassium in the body is stored in an inactive state and needs to be moved, using a lot of energy, to where it can do its work.

Reply to
Pamela

No, it's probably my medication. But I am trying Lo-Salt.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well that depends on how much junk food you eat.

Its perfectly possible with fresh meat and vegetables to have a totally salt free diet

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Some medications are 'potassium wasting', i.e. they cause the body to excrete potassium. Bendroflumethiazide, commonly known as 'water tablets' 'cos they make you pee, and are also used to lower BP, is one such. I have been on them for many years, but when I moved house a couple of years ago and to a new medical practice, my new GP noted that my potassium levels were low, so took me off them. My BP immediately became alarmingly high (alarming to me, at any rate, e.g. over 200 on waking; I was measuring at home because my GP said to do it for a week - don't usually monitor my BP), so I was put back on the water tablets. No one has commented on my potassium levels since, but I do occasionally suffer from excruciating leg cramps at night, so I take about half a salt-spoon of KCl in water, and they seem to go away for a few weeks.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Pamela formulated on Tuesday :

Serious question - Is that right?

I have been told at just one appointment, that my potassium level was too high, I do suffer sometimes cramps, but I was told to avoid salt. I tend to only sometimes bother with salt, when I remember to use it and normally only have scratch prepared food.

Might my high potasium level have been due to not taking adequate salt?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

You Need More Salt in Your Diet

Reply to
Animal

I would be very cautious about taking any medical or dietary advice from anyone on the Internet. If you have a genuine and ongoing problem (not just a one-off observation) diagnosed by your doctor, then you need to get qualified advice from him or a dietician at your local surgery, NHS clinic, hospital, or WHY.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Chris Hogg snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

Interesting about the severe night leg cramps.

I also took note of TNPs comment about a link to fluid intake.

I have an enlarged prostate and am being monitored for accelerating cancer by routine PSA tests.

To minimise night toilet visits (currently once at 6 am), I am inclined to limit fluid evening intake. I was never a beer drinker so not hard.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Quite so. There can be some well-intentioned but extremely misleading and inappropriate medical advice on the net, even by well-informed enthusiasts. The trouble is some of the doctors you might consult are not as capable as they could be.

Reply to
Pamela

That depends on the source of information. There are many reputable sites.

Agreed, but once you know something is wrong, you can become an expert, and certainly know more than your GP on your illness. Doctors can be good at the initial diagnosis.

Reply to
Fredxx

Yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On lots of medical matters there's more than one credible view. GPs & the NHS get a huge amount wrong, to rely on them is imho rather unwise.

Reply to
Animal

My personal rule of thumb is something like 10 to 15% of actions taken by NHS staff is wrong. Correction of errors is so routine that NHS staff find it unremarkable when you point out something wrong to them.

In my experience, I would guess something like only 3 to 5% similar errors occur in private medicine.

IMHO etc.

Reply to
Pamela

As long as you're not relying on Kay Shemirani, you're well ahead of some people. :)

Reply to
GB

In the UK private medicine is mostly the same as NHS.

Reply to
Animal

What do you mean?

Reply to