OT: Portable air conditioners

Anyone have one of these ?
I suffer badly from the heat and have been thinking of getting one of these for some time (looking at Delonghi).
Worth it or not ?
TIA.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
On 25/07/2010 20:22, Hugh Jampton wrote:

We have had one for a couple of years. Only use it occasionally. Works fine for one rooom. The heat is pumped out in the shape of hot air via a flexible pipe about 5 inches in diameter. You either need to open a window enough to push the pipe through it or to make a hole in an outside wall.
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 20:41:07 +0100, Invisible Man wrote:

Thanks for that. I just want it for one room (bedroom mainly) and would, like you, only use it occasionally.
Thanks again - sounds like what I need :-)
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
On 25/07/2010 21:19, Hugh Jampton wrote:

A lot of them are a bit noisy to have on when sleeping. We usually turn ours off when we go to bed.
On 25 Jul,

I got one about 15 years ago. Taken back by SWMBO the next day, too noisy.
Replaced by split unit one, still going strong (cost1500 then, much cheaper now) probably needs replacement soon as it can't be re-charged as the refrigerant is no longer available to be used.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

R12 units can be recharged with another one I can never remember the R number of, but its either propane or butane
NT

My late mother had a bungalow with a patio and large french windows which made the living room very hot in high summer. I could never persuade her to let me put in an awning, but she gained a lot of benefit from one of these in her last couple of years. Rather noisy (but she was as deaf as a post). I still use it very occasionally.

I bet you're one of those people who really need to lose some weight
--
geoff

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 20:43:43 +0100, geoff wrote:

I don't think so :-) I'm getting on a bit but .....
I walk a lot (several miles a day minimum). I have a massive garden which needs *lots* of work the whole year round (several hours most days). I don't overeat.
I hardly ever use the car - much prefer to walk :-)
I just suffer from hot and humid weather :-(
Thanks for the suggestion though :-)
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
A portable HVAC unit uses a hose through a window or core-drilled vent. They work much better if you have no windows open, not south facing, blinds drawn re solar gain, and connect to a core-drilled vent which may be 4-inch or 5-inch. Argos are a good supplier for reviews, delivery & returns online. Most can only cool, a few can heat as well (not many).
They often end up at the tip.
A much better solution is a proper split-load unit. They use an internal wall mounted unit, with external fan unit, linked by two small pipes and a cable. You need a 38mm or so hole through the wall which is cheap to buy and well within the limits of any mains drill. Price wise they are about 299 from Ebay or even B&Q (price varies, check they are DIY install).
They by their nature can often heat, and are good in winter as a backup and through the year re dehumidification. They often end up being bought again when someone moves.
So up to you, the former are about 99-199, the latter are 299-399.

Or buy a portable split type, the external unit on mine just needs two screws in the wall to hang onto, and any condensate is pumped out the bottom of it too. Bought from TLC a few years ago.
If you buy a second hand one, make sure it does NOT use R22 gas.
Toby...

I have a portable split-unit, bought from ebay last year for about 150. It's a bit of a handful to keep moving the external unit outside and keep the window/door almost closed on the stiff connecting pipe. As the pipe can be disconnected (self-sealing unions) yesterday I mounted the external unit outside and core-drilled a hole through the dwarf wall of the conservatory. Now much neater and easier to use when required.
Alan.
On 25/07/10 22:01, js.b1 wrote:

What's the difference between a split load airconditioner (with heat mode) and an air source heat pump (with reverse option).

None.
Air conditioners with a heat pump heating mode should only attract 5% VAT, if the retailer can be bothered to do the paperwork. However, I found one that couldn't be bothered to do the paperwork and was charging full VAT was actually still cheaper when I bought mine.
If you're in a position to bring one back from more southern europe where they aren't considered luxuries, you may find them significantly cheaper than in the UK. Certainly was the case before the pound dropped 30%. Mind you, nearly 10 years ago a friend bought one back from the US. Even though the excess baggage charge was much more than the cost of the unit in Frys, it was still vastly cheaper than anything you could buy here at that time. That was a through window unit which is one piece split unit, with half inside the room and half hanging outside, balanced on the window ledge replacing a window pane. They are very popular in the US, less so here. Apparently it worked fine.
--
Andrew Gabriel

No need to bet, we *know* what sort of person you are.
writes>Anyone have one of these ?

I don't know how many personalities geof has but he is drivel when he finds his fischer price hacksaw and geof ATM. He is probably unbeliver when he wants to be too.

What the fuck are you blathering on about now, retard?
It's a commonly held belief in ukdiy that you and drivel are one and the same
That can't possibly be true - at least drivel posts sensible things on occasion when he takes his meds
--
geoff

On 28/07/2010 20:42, geoff wrote:

drivel, geoff, dennis and one or 2 others occasionally say something useful but generally just waste space. I had assumed they were all the same person.

Live with it, sunshine
--
geoff

In message