OT: pencil & ears

Was chatting with my wife earlier and remembered I still had the pencil behind my ear. This started a conversation which had a life of its own. Like how long after removing the said pencil do you still think it is there? I have been known to scratch behind the ear, just to check you understand, an hour later! Where do people with glasses keep their pencil? If you just started wearing glasses, do you still try to put pencil behind the ear. any others?

Reply to
simon beer

I`m getting worse with age - when I wander into the canteen in work I take my own plate and cutlery with me, and i`ve found myself going to put a fork behind my ear at times while my lunch is in the microwave...

Apart from that, i`ve put permanent marker pens there as well :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I've been known to walk to school to get our little one with the pencil still lodged, as well as go up to the nearest shed for new bits, or put up a shelf and spend the next few hours painting only to be surprised at dislodging the pencil when I try to flick me hair out of the way - I've got rather a lot of it :). Could still be novelty factor though, since I've only been specs-less since being lasered 2 years ago....beforehand it was v.difficult to stick a pencil alongside the spec leg.

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

Bragging?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Somebody just has to invent a little rubber or foam doo-dad that clips to a spectacle arm and has a vee in it, and you push your pencil in that. Important people would have one on each arm, so left and right handed versions might be needed. The deluxe model would have an Anglepoise type mechanism so you can position your pencil at the preferred distance and angle from the head. And then there'd be bolt-on accessories like hazard warning lights, spotlights, tissue holders, large clip-on frogs (to scare flies away), mini fans for hot weather and blowing dust out of the way, and a water spray for fire fighting the moment you make it happen.The possibilities are endless.

I think we just started a whole new industry.

W.

Reply to
Woodspoiler

Behind the ear.

I think I must have about 20 pencils in a secret place in my garage. Either that, or the people who used to nick garden gnomes have started a campaign on hijacking pencils.....

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Thanks, I needed an idea ... must keep Spouse occupied.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You have room for garden gnomes in your garage????

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The same thing happens with steel tape measures, even if they are bright yellow.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

And scissors - for those of the female variety.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well, I've no problem keeping a pencil behind the old lugs, even with the obligatory geek glasses; but fitting scissors and tape measures behind the ears would need gobs of blutac (or superglue for a one-off install). Ha! Gottit! Shave hair in above/behind ear area, superglue velcro loop to scalp; then vital workshop accessories - scissors, knives, tapes, mugs of steaming hot tea - can be fitted with velcro hook pads and so kept to hand.

Gawd, inventiveness at its best. I feel a patent application coming on ;-)

Reply to
stefek.zaba

A friend once came to see me, I could hardly recognise him because he was dressed in a suit. I've no idea where he got it from, as far as I know he'd never worn one before and hasn't done since. He'd taken his invention to the patent office.

The suit didn't work ...

Motto - no idea!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I was in Ikea with a mate, and he managed to have two pencils, one behind each ear

Hi didn't realise until I started laughing at him!

Reply to
Sparks

Behind the ear as good a place as any.... but safety goggles and dust masks hinder that somewhat.

Often hold it between my teeth, but for long after the need has passed. I start to wonder why my jaw is aching and I'm slavering all over whatever I'm working on, and then realise that I don;t need the pencil/screwdriver/screw/nail/whatever any more and haven't in fact done for several minutes.

Like to wear shirts with pockets whilst working - invaluable for pencils. However, every time I bend down the damned things fall out.

So, usually it's trouser pockets.

Of course, with so many places that I habitually put pencils and the likes, I am forever losing things about my person.

I think I need a holiday.....

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Which reminds me of......

20 odd years ago when I maintained on-site compooters my main client was a rather large oil refinery down near Southampton. I used to spend 5 days a week there fixing equipment on occasion. Knew my main contact well from meeting him frequently and all that.

My wife and I were walking down a crowded Southampton high street one weekend. A chap approached from the other direction and just as he was going past I remembered he was my main contact at the refinery.

The brain didn't kick into gear until late because when he was on-site he was always very smartly dressed, nice suit and all that. And that day in the high street he was dressed down.

Made me realise that you get to know people in a certain surrounding and if they appear somewhere else they can almost be non-descript.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

SWMBO takes whatever is in the washing basket and puts it through the machine, usually without checking the shirt pockets. Many times she has mentioned afterwards that there must have been something in the pockets because she's got odd scraps of paper come out when the washing is finished.

On a related subject, I used to do demo's and presentations in front of corporate clients. And I've habitually put pens into the shirt pocket. Took the jacket off one hot day during a presentation to find that the fountain pen had decided to wet its pants, and I had a huge black ink patch all around the shirt pocket.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Anyone trained themselves to put the pencil behind the ear such that the tip of the pencil is pointing "backwards". Otherwise the number of times I have bent down beside a newly-wallpapered wall and left an arc of pencil line on the new wallpaper...

On a connected note, a relative has a Nursery business for plants. One day he said a customer came in to buy some plants and the guy had a comb lodged in his hair! The relative said he couldn't keep his eyes off the comb.

Mungo :-)

Reply to
Mungo Henning

Were they the free ones Ikea provides? Where did he have the tape measures?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That happened to me with a borrowed shirt - with permanent ink. My friend was very forgiving about it but I still feel guilty.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mungo Henning" wrote in news:bpn9j8$blj$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com: