OT: Pen drive database?

Hi all,

I've had a Google but can't see anything but does anyone know of a PC program that could (does?) automatically collate a searchable database of the contents of various pen drives?

Ideally, it would then sync with a SmartPhone app / database that was equally searchable?

The idea is you need something off one drive, you search for it in the app and it tells you what drive it's on (it would be easier to number the USB sticks than write on them what they contain.). ;-)

Is anyone aware of such a (commercial?) solution or have their own equally easy solution please?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

On a Mac I used a program that could catlogue CDs DVDs listing what was on them I assume it could be used for USB sticks but this was before USB sticks were common :-0

I thought about doing this, on a Mac if you have the a folder open you can do a copy and it'll copy the text or the titles of the files then you can paste them into a document perhaps a to-do list or reminder app (nearly tyoe remoaner app)

Might be worth asking on a computer group too.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Type "file catalogue software" into Google.

In the old days of CD/DVD backups I used to use "Where Is It" which was fine.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Yes, as long as such accepted any removable media, something like that should be fine.

I could do a dir e:*.* /s >files.txt (or something like that) but I'm not sure how searchable that would be and I'd like something more automated.

I think I will but I thought I'd ask the 'practical' folk first. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ah, that's what such things are called! Thanks. ;-)

And it looks like it's still out there and I might give the trials of some of those with the best feedback a go.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m