Outdoor photocell connected to outlets

I have an outdoor photocell that's hooked to 4 gfci outdoor outlets (makes them work dusk to dawn) put Xmas lights up everything all good until while sitting here tonight the llights went out about 30 seconds then came back on. They seem to do this every few hours. Outlets aren't tripping and breaker doesn't trip .... any ideas?

Reply to
Awright221

Feedback from the lights reaching the photocell? Might be the lights combined with a full moon are enough to take the photocell to the threshold of thinking its getting light occasionally.

Reply to
John Rumm

Something shining on the cell? I hadthis with a home made device as there was not enough hysteresis in the trigger levels to be able to ignore lights. Of course it could be mains interference from a thermostat or something like that as well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Why not cover the cell with tape so it's completely dark. Does the fault go away?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

replying to RobertL, Awright221 wrote: Will try this tonight. We just had them setup on photocell to come on and off dusk to dawn each evening as convenience for when we are not home etc lights can still be enjoyed by others.

Reply to
Awright221

replying to Awright221, Awright221 wrote: Connection to photocell is correct no "flakiness" all outlets worked fine prior to Xmas lights being hooked up. Covering cell with electrical tape does not correct issue. (At this point I'm thinking the cell can't handle the light load, as non of the gfci's or house breaker ever kick during the issue. Will remove photocell tomorrow and direct wire to see if this corrects the issue.)

Reply to
Awright221

This could be an EMI problem - some (poor quality) xmas lights can put out lots of electrical interference. That may be what is affecting the electronics monitoring the photocell.

(There was a time where I could reliably turn on the light in my lounge (controlled by a "touch" dimmer), simply by turning the 17" CRT monitor for my computer on in another room!)

Reply to
John Rumm

replying to Awright221, Awright221 wrote: By unhooking photocell & direct wiring outlets problem was corrected. (I just bypassed and direct wired back to outlets for holidays,,, looks like a flip of the breaker each night will have to do the lights this year.). I'm assuming photo cell just couldn't handle load with all the lights. If anyone has any ideas or knows of a photocell that would work let me know. I loved the convenience of all the lights outside turning on and off each evening / morning by themselves regardless of whom was home. ? Thanks for all the help and advice. Merry Christmas ?????

Reply to
Awright221