OT PC Backup

NT wrote

I have used clones repeatedly, mainly when doing a complex reinstall where I need to keep going back to the original install thats got too screwed up to be viable, as I keep checking on the apps configs so I can manually get the settings back to the way they once were.
Works fine.

Don't forget to remove the original before running the clone. From my experience windows gets confused otherwise.
NT wrote

More fool you.

No thanks.

Nope.
IME it works fine even with moving to a completely new system.
The most you might have to do is a repair install if the new machine is completely different chipset wise to the old one.

Cloning leaves that for dead.
And if it doesnt, the files and systems transfer wizard works a lot better than copying the apps files en masse.

And wont if you clone the original drive.

Not if you want a bootable clone that you can just reclone back to the replacement drive if the original does die.

I have thousands, dont want redo those manually thanks.

Nope.
Nope.

Unless you have boards/peripherals which aren't supported. Installing Win7 is straight forward.
--

Martin

On 07/04/2012 22:36, Martin wrote:

But very sloooow... that's before you apply all the monthly patches, and reinstall apps. Bit of a mugs game when recovering from an image is so much faster and easier.
--
Cheers,

John.

Sure. PCI cards are handy for that, or just pass the machine on to someone else that wants windows.

Linux is /so/ much easier. It makes cloning pointless.
NT
NT wrote:

Not when it doesnt support the card you are using for a PVR it isnt.

Not always.
Martin wrote:

...Unless you have boards/peripherals which aren't supported. :-)
On 07/04/2012 17:45, NT wrote:

Can't quite work out what difference the OS in use makes as to whether a system is worth backing up or not?
Its your data, application configuration, and installation set that matter.

Makes more sense if you also backup the HKLM/Software hive of the registry as well. However even that will still miss important stuff.

Its not a good backup strategy, since if you overwrite the the target you destroy your previous backup in the process and also lose any ability to go back to a previous version of a file. If you use a different target directory then it rather profligate with space since there is none of the de-duping that proper incremental would do.

Which would suggest there is less point backing up that OS than windows if you follow that argument through.
--
Cheers,

John.

On 07/04/2012 16:18, Martin wrote:

Failing that, download maxblast from the seagate web site - basically a cut down version of Acronis true image. It will image a system to either another drive, or a file on a network etc.
--
Cheers,

John.

Mentalguy2k8 wrote

It doesnt need to hold everything, you can backup only the stuff that cant be reinstalled if you do see a hard drive die.

But you can just replace the hard drive if it does die, and reinstall the OS and apps and restore what you have saved to the external drive.
The 'funny noises' might just be a dying fan etc.
Wesley wrote:

Yes.
http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/320GB-Hitachi-X-Mobile-Black-Slim-External-Mobile-USB2.0-Hard-Disk_34766.html

If it is making funny noises it is on the blink even if it is just a fan doing the jokes. It's gttin old. It could still last ten or twenty years though. The cartel making desktops wants you to buy one every two or three years.
That may work fine with a business that can get the money back from tax expenses. But it is totally silly to think like that for home use. Talking of acting silly:
Some people on here are idiots and some are irresponsible, argumentative trolls. But some are very well clued up computer experts.
Just take a look at what Google has to show about whoever you are taking advice from. And don't pay any attention to negative replies unless they are fully backed up with reasonable explanations and insightful alternative tips.
Meanwhile; you don't say what you want to back up.
A 320 GB drive holds a hell of a lot of data. If you want to store a lot of graphics you should already have it on a second place online somewhere like Opera Community. (I suggest that one because its the only one I am familiar with, you can send them 100 images at a time with a good connection.)
They have their own compression algorithms to help out with bandwidth problems designed for mobile phone use. And Opera Unity allows great access anywhere any time. Others may know better places.
But get that drive now. At 38 it's an hundred quid cheaper than the other stuff recommended on here so far.
I would consider buying a second hand box from a recycle firm such as TERC. (Which I use as it's local to me and very cheap.) Ask them to put a Linux OS on it for you. They may do so for nothing.
Text can be stored very nicely as a zip file set. How much space do you need? Convert all the important stuff to zip files this weekend and they will transfer very quickly for you. Linux will open Microsoft stuff but you may have a problem opening Linux stuff with Windows. (Though things have improved a lot over the last decade.)
And finally you can find out if it is a fan that is duff by unplugging it. Don't run the box for long or you will cook the CPU. But you should have two fans anyway. If you don't; then DO, asap. They cost pennies and can be fitter in minutes.
The chances are that the fan isn't even duff if it is just making a noise. It might just need cleaning, one of my boxes has a fan that needed the centre pushed in or out (can't remember which) to reseat it on the bearing and it is running fine now (either that, or I have become deaf to it.)
Clean the insides with a hoover and a soft brush. You can take the heat sink off the chip if you want to, to get it done and dusted. But you need some heat conducting grease for the interface when you put it back.
A little syringe of that stuff lasts a hell of a long time if you only clean your one case when things start squeaking. Don't go daft with it, you are just making close contact with two polished metal faces. A good pimple full is all you need.
Good luck.
Weatherlawyer wrote

Bit if its a fan, and it hasnt stopped, you can safely ignore it until its convenient to change it or to oil the bearing.

Yep, even if its the hard drive bearing. One of mine did.

There is no cartel.

Doesnt matter what they want.

It can make more sense to just backup everything to the external drive as quickly as possible in case it is the drive dying when you dont have any backups as presumably he doesnt.

The trouble with any manual system like that instead of just cloning the system to an external drive is that its easy for someone like that that has to ask if it will do the job to not realise what does need to be backed up until its too late and they discover that while they thought that they had backed up what mattered, they hadnt in fact done that when the drive does die.
The big advantage with a clone is that you can check that it looks the same as the original and have reasonable confidence that its all been backed up.

Not a good idea with the cpu fan.

Not always by someone who has to ask if thats a viable way to backup.

Thats a bit dangerous with someone like that too.

And that in spades.

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 15:07:18 +0100, Wesley wrote:

Does it make the funny noises right from when you first switch on? If so, switch off, open the case, unplug the hard disk's power connector, and switch on. If the noise is still there, it's not your hard disk...
cheers
Jules
Funny noises? Take the connectors off of all things when the unit is unplugged, then refit them. If you still get funny noises, then worry. Brian
--
Brian Gaff - snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk