OT - Open Banking

Is this something that you welcome?

Does it increase the risk of fraud?

Reply to
Michael Chare

always pay cash at a Paki run petrol station........

Reply to
New OAP ...

Well I can't quite see how it would be of significant benefit to me and any increase in flow/spread of personal info has got to increase the possibility of a leak and hence fraud. It could possibly open the door to unsolicited offers to move bank accounts and other financial products but we have a large recycling bin!

I would hope that open banking will have an opt out for customers but not confident of this. Contactless payment cards didn't have an opt out unless you decline the cards or perform surgery with a craft knife.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Racist.

Reply to
Mark

fact

Reply to
New OAP ...

nope

haven't the faintest idea what it is supposed to do for me (and that isn't because I haven't looked)

difficult to see how it wont

tim

Reply to
tim...

it is supposed to have

tim

Reply to
tim...

Barclays do not appear to have an opt out option. They just say don't tell other companies they can access your account.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Yes I have now found this site

which says "Consumers first must agree to share their personal data to get recommendations for the banking, credit or insurance products most suitable to their personal financial circumstances. "

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Also says "While open banking sounds great in theory ...".

No. It doesn't.

Reply to
Mark

It won't do anything useful for the customer. It will only allow banks to harvest more of our personal data.

Of course it will increase the risk of fraud.

Reply to
Mark

I'm glad you agree with me.

Reply to
Mark

What is Open banking?

I don't like using cash machines even though we now have talking ones with headsets. When you cannot see you cannot know if anyone is hovering waiting to pounce. I want a person involved, and I certainly don't like any idea where security can be compromised. So as I say, what is Open banking? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Seriously though, one problem we all now have to bear in mind is that with so many people in this country using other languages, they could all be discussing you and you would not know it. If you have ever gone into a small country bar in certain parts of Wales, its amazing how many start to speak in welsh. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's supposed to provide better access to "financial products" from a broad range of suppliers rather than just your own bank, by letting banks and finance companies share customer information. It's a bit like the online insurance and energy supplier comparison sites, for banks.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Reply to
Andy Burns

What is "open banking"?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Thanks for that. I checked out the supposed benefits and there is nothing there for me.

Reply to
Tim Streater

FSVO "supposed".

I don't consider it to be comparible with comparison sites. It's more about banks trying to advertise and attempt to sell you more stuff you don't need.

Reply to
Mark

If he's speaking from prejudice he's a racist. If he's speaking from personal experience he's a realist. You didn't know which category he was in so you had no right to call him an offensive name.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright