[OT] Octopus Energy and Al Gore

Apparently, Al Gore's investment company has taken a 13% stake in Octopus Energy.

There's an interview with Greg of Octopus on today's BBC Sounds, the Today programme at about 06:17h.

Octopus' business model appears to be built on 'demand management'.

You have been warned...

Reply to
Spike

What exactly is demand management, Shoot the people who need too much energy rather than generating more? grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Possibly restricting demand at peak times, either by high spot pricing or disconnection?

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

Why bother to shoot them when you can turn off their smart meters and leave them to die of hypothermia?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Surely, I can run the washing machine and tumble dryer at times of low demand, for example, without enormous suffering? I can charge my storage heaters at times of low demand, without even noticing it.

We already have night electricity prices much, much lower than day, so what's so wrong with tweaking that model? It was introduced when the most sophisticated devices were time clocks. Now, with the 'internet of things' it should be easy to manage demand to a far closer tolerance, with the consumer barely being aware of it?

Well, that's the theory, anyway.

Reply to
GB

It's what the private water companies have been doing for ages in Oz which has put many farmers out of business.

It's the same company that owns Thames water !.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

They claim 100% renewable and they seem to be investing in solar so their definition of demand may not be the one most people assume.

They would like people to use electricity when the sun is shining and when the wind is blowing. When these two things don't happen this is the time when they would need to alter price because they cannot supply demand.

Reply to
alan_m

The washing machine runs every couple of days, but only uses a small amount of energy. We don't use the TD much. So not enough to make it worth running overnight.

You mean it would turn all my lights off overnight? Gosh, how novel.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Andrew snipped-for-privacy@mybtinternet.com wrote

That?s a lie.

And so is that.

Reply to
John Brown

There is a joke going around which says, why is it called Octopus? Because its full of suckers.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa