OT: Objectifying animals. (Inc using their bodies as seats).

We do live in a strange world where people 'say' they respect and (should / do) protect animals then do the exact opposite in what they eat or do with their bodies or excretions?

This includes a jockey sitting on a dead horse (that had died of a heart attack whilst on the gallops (exploitation leading to a premature death?)) to a TV reporter drinking some cows milk in front of some dairy cows and saying 'cheers' to them (effectively goading the mothers of calves they haven't really seen and that were often killed or destined for a life of servitude as a 'milk machine').

It's a disconnection (cognitive dissonance) I see over and over and often in people who are otherwise intelligent and empathetic where they are either ignorant of what goes on behind the scenes to provide them their animal based food or are fully aware and just think it's all acceptable?

Much of it is simply speciesism, people who have been indoctrinated (historically) or brainwashed and certainly marketed to to accept that they *need* to cause the suffering to innocent and often sentient animals to survive or even enjoy themselves (taste / texture) when they only do so at the cost to other species (and potentially ourselves with health, resource use and the environment etc).

I think this explains speciesism fairly well:

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Seek help. Consult someone. Get (whatever(it is)) off your chest.

Reply to
Spike

.......Jews and Muslims draining blood from live animals for Kosha and Halal crap.

Reply to
jon

but what can you do .....

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

I'm Halal intolerant....

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

Like the child abuse of removing foreskins off little boys without their permission....just ban it.

Reply to
jon
<snip>

Yup, all / any exploitation of animals by anyone.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

What can I do? Well I can do whatever I can to not cause any animal suffering and exploitation wherever possible and practical (and I am).

And if you were interested (and I know you aren't), you could *easily* do the same.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

totly

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart

speciesism is avoiding meat in favour of innocent vegetables

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I take it having sex with an animal is a no no then ? ......

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart
<snip>

And given you can be so selfish / biased against pretty well all of your own species, there is little to no chance you would be any different with any others. ;-(

Until it impacts you of course ... and I would have thought that given your comment: "some of us are even luckier and are on borrowed time..", you might have gained some actual humility. Alas no. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

Nope, not in the example given / stated it isn't so once again you manage to get something 100% wrong.

In this case the 'species' were the generally highly selective range of often sentient creatures typically objectified / comodified by humans for food and general exploitation.

And OOI, what do the animals you eat eat?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

You would think so eh, but that's exactly what we effectively do with many live stock, especially those species no longer able to reproduce on their own / naturally (because of how we have genetically mutilated them).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

For me, there is one principle that trumps all others: I like meat and I hate vegetables.

Maybe if I had been raised a vegetarian or vegan I'd not hate vegetables as much; obviously I wouldn't know what meat tastes like to compare with. Maybe I'd still hate vegetables, in which case I may end up living on nuts and raw carrots/celery (the two vegetables that I like, although as a snack rather than cooked as an accompaniment to a meal).

Knowing that a vegetarian or vegan diet is healthier and kinder to animals is very worthy, but it's not enough on its own to persuade me to change. I like to enjoy my food - and I wouldn't enjoy a meat-free diet. Maybe I'd eat less if I was restricted to food that I didn't like, which up to a point would be a Good Thing ;-)

I support keeping animals in the best conditions possible (eg free-range, not battery hens) while still raising them to eat or to produce milk, eggs, leather, wool etc. I am opposed to hunting and fishing, except as a source of food.

Reply to
NY

I presume you're talking about artificial insemination. Isn't AI done to avoid each farm having to keep (or have easy access to) a bull/ram, and maybe to give genetic variation, rather than because species are unable to breed naturally if they are allowed "access" to a bull/ram?

Going back a few hundred years, when most farms kept a male or each species for breeding, I wonder if neighbouring farms shared/swapped males to give greater genetic variation.

If keeping animals for food and other products became illegal, I wonder what would happen to the animals that were still alive when the law was introduced? Would they be killed so they didn't starve when their fields were needed for additional crops? Would they be released into the wild and allowed to breed at will, while still being kept out of crop fields. I imagine if there was some advance notice of the law change, breeding would stop and animals would gradually die out but not be replaced.

Reply to
NY

Or would be if it were remotely true. Farm animals have better lives than wild animals mainly

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message <s1lm7k$1i7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, NY snipped-for-privacy@privacy.invalid writes

Waste of time giving Tim facts:-(

Still done but movement rules and regulations can interfere.

The bulk of Tim's propaganda originates elsewhere in the world. I don't suppose he contributes to the *send a cow* charity helping impoverished Africans.

Reply to
Tim Lamb
<snip>

Ok.

'Animal flesh'. The flesh taken from an animal that didn't want to die you mean? Something that was never yours to take in the first place?

So just because you happen to like doing something, you think that justify's you doing it, even when there are victims of those choices?

Or if you listened to the advice you will have been given all your life by all nutrition experts and health professionals re how you should 'eat up your veg because it's good for you'? 'Meat and two veg' etc?

Quite ... but I wasn't 'raised a vegetarian or vegan' and I did 'like' the taste of meat but I like the idea that I'm no longer killing and exploiting animals even more.

Why are you going on about 'vegetables' OOI? They aren't the only alternative to meat ... there are loads of foods that are 'plant based' that have a similar taste and texture to meat if that's what you must have and neither look nor taste like the non animals they were made from?

See above. I really think you are putting up excuses to try justify your desire to continue to cause suffering and death of innocent creatures rather than actually seeing if you could do something else?

See above. If your only experience is a very limited one of straight 'vegetables' versus plant based foods then you really aren't in a position to judge (yet).

What, and vegans don't?

You don't know you wouldn't ... and the only reason why you would continue a meat based diet is that you don't *actually* GAF about the suffering and the death of those animals to just happen to desire to eat? What animals haven't you tried that other eat that you might be missing out on? Why only eat the ones you have so far?

Well yes, whilst in 'Obese Britain' that generally would be a good thing, you don't have to 'eat less' or not enjoy food as much, just because you don't eat animals? I do pretty well all the cooking and outside of doing a short 'Catering' course when I was 16 and at college, I'm no chief. However, in the year I've been preparing vegan food for the two of us there hasn't been a single meal that the Mrs hasn't fully enjoyed. I am slightly more fussy and possibly because I have cooked it myself, am aware of those things I could have done differently / better.

Like last night. Daughter had got us (at my request) some green lentils because I wanted to have a go at making more stuff from scratch. So I found a vegan recipe on the net that was the best match for what ingredients we and the amount of effort required had and gave it a go. We had 3 pretty tired fresh carrots that I cleaned up and sliced and added some frozen ones to make up the recommended quantity. A few small potatoes chopped and some chopped onion and sauted them all in a big saucepan with a little bit of oil. I added some garlic powder (didn't have any fresh), then the lentils after draining and then added 3 of the 6 cups of water I was supposed to add to make up the stock (with a bit of gravy / bullion). After bringing it to the boil and simmering it for a while it dawned on me the water was supposed to be absorbed by the *dry* lentils and the ones from the tin were already wet so I now had too much liquid. [1] Doh!

So, I added a cup of rice and some frozen small veg, brought it back to the boil and let it simmer for 10 mins and served it up as a thick soup / broth. It was actually very nice and we have some left over to have as-is another day or I'll add something to it, say some chopped tomatoes and have it on pasta. All good and healthy and nothing like the 'vegetables' you constantly refer to?

That's not really helping the main issues though so given your focus on your own personal pleasures, you might as well (for what actual good it does the animals in the long run), just buy what you want. Free range hens are still exhausted in 72 weeks (and are slaughtered) and we know how bad the dairy industry is, however it's done. And what was that sheep they found that was carrying 35kg of wool? Do you think that's natural? Do you think that would have survived this long as a species like that?

What, even when you (the vast majority) don't *need* to kill another living creature to live a healthy / happy life in 2021?

Cheers, T i m

[1] To be fair I was also making a batch of vegan peanut butter and oat cookies at the time so wasn't concentrating fully (and they came out perfect and are *way* to nice). ;-)
Reply to
T i m

You've had your 60 odd years of doing what you want, now you want to stop others having theirs, like eating a balanced diet.

Reply to
Spike