OT Nuclear waste.

You really are a shit-fer-brains. You never read the orginal post did you?

"Because some radioactive species have half-lives longer than one million years, even very low container leakage and radionuclide migration rates must be taken into account.[30] Moreover, it may require more than one half-life until some nuclear materials lose enough radioactivity to no longer be lethal to living organisms. A 1983 review of the Swedish radioactive waste disposal program by the National Academy of Sciences found that country?s estimate of several hundred thousand years?perhaps up to one million years?being necessary for waste isolation ?fully justified.?[31]"

Plus.

harryagain

You really ARE brain dead. Nuclear waste contains many elements.

harryagain

In article , harryagain writes

Surrey's going to be full of oil wells

Reply to
hugh

Thereby obviating the need for lighting and reducing CO2. Win- Win.

Reply to
hugh

You have read that haven't you? Including the bit that says "Radionuclides such as 129I or 131I, may be highly radioactive, or very long-lived, but they cannot be both." So you now agree with what we have been telling you for years!

Reply to
dennis

Name one material with a one million year half life that is more radioactive than carbon 14 which is found in you. It decays about 20,000 times more than a one million year half life element in case you don't know.

Reply to
dennis

In the case of I131, of all that which existed at the time of the tsunami, not a single atom exists today. It's all decayed.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It can't have, its highly radioactive and needs to be stored for a million years, just ask our expert harry.

Reply to
dennis

Half life of 8 days.

So 4 years would give you 10^-55 of the amount started out.

Even Harry would be comfortable with that.

Reply to
Fredxxx

It's also good for absorbing cations (pron. cat-ions) if there should be any leaks, as it has a high cation exchange capacity. Montmorillonite (bentonite), the clay much used for cat litter, is particularly good. See

Chris Hogg

But harry, you are more radioactive (shorter half life of ~6000 years for c14) than waste with a half life of a million years so that means we have to bury you in a hermetically sealed safe storage area for a million years. Its written by idiots like you that don't understand that long half lives *must* mean lower radioactivity. I bet you don't worry about sleeping next to your partner despite the fact you are irradiating them.

Reply to
dennis

Because some of it has half lives of around 50 years so it will take about a thousand years to decay enough to be safe, not millions! Or you could burn it in a suitable reactor.

Reply to
dennis

You think harry has a partner?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On 10/04/2015 11:23, harryagain wrote: ...

Because it is the residue from nuclear weapons manufacture, which is not the same as spent nuclear fuel.

Reply to
Nightjar

True, but not the reason. The reason is that there are a class of radionuclides whose half lives are medium - tens and hundreds of years - which makes them both long lived and somewhat dangerous. Not very, but somewhat.

Strontium 90 and Caesium 137 where the bugaboos of our youth, for example.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
harryagain

Ah. Moving the goals posts. Still drivelling on.

Reply to
harryagain

So you can't give a sensible answer then.

Reply to
dennis

Of course he can't, because he knows f*ck-all about radioactivity or what it is. All he knows is that radioactive stuff is "lethal for millions of years" and trots this mantra out as a stock response to anything.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And you have retard level comprehension. ability.

Reply to
harryagain