OT (not an apprentice, but...)

My friend, a few months back, employed a young chap for general work around the hanger. He was willing, but needed to be given clear instructions for most of his duties. When told to sweep the hanger floor, he cheerfully went and found the broom and made a start. Half an hour later, it was noticed t hat he had the broom upside down. His explanation was that he'd never befor e swept a floor. He jumped before he ws pushed.

Reply to
stvlcnc43

Upside down? I assume you don't mean the bristles up, just the angle of the head was wrong. This reminded me of a broom head I bought some time ago, the stiff bristle sort. When I got it home and tried to put the handle on it, I found the hole for the handle had been made at right angles to the wood of the head, meaning that neither way around would make it act as a broom should. Chalk up one more to the idiot factory, no wonder it was described as a universal broom head. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Oh, I thought you were going to tell us he was trying to sweep a hanger! Maybe you meant hangar though. :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

I don't think the factory got it wrong. Most of our brooms are designed for pushing so have the handle at an angle to the bristles. But there are plenty meant to have bristles parallel to the handle for use upright. I had a holiday job in a canning factory where we used them.

Reply to
Robin

No I don't believe you, I think some Del Boy convinced them that it was right with the help of Arfur Daley no doubt left with a job lot of dodgy broom heads. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff