OT;NEWS RELEASE 1 April 2012

NEWS RELEASE 1 April 2012 Easter eggs could be sold in plain packaging from next year.

Public health campaigners want all seasonal confectionary to be sold in uniform beige packs which research has shown is the colour that is least appealing to children and the obese.

Proposals being considered by the Government would remove all branding and colourful packaging in an attempt to reduce indulgence levels.

Under the proposals, to be discussed in Parliament, no brand logos will be permitted on any Easter egg although companies will be able to print their name and the brand in small, standardised font on the box.

The packaging will also feature a stark health warning that will cover

75% of the front of the pack and 90% of the back. Graphic images will feature double chins and belly fat.

Public health groups have welcomed the proposals. "If this legislation stops one young person from picking up a shiny, glitzy Easter egg and prevents them becoming addicted to chocolate then it will have been worthwhile," said Candy Barr, chief executive officer for Action on Eating and Health.

?We would also like Easter eggs to be sold behind closed doors in retail outlets. At present they are on open display which is far too tempting for customers.?

Campaigners say that a recent survey based on interviews with 13 children aged 8-15 showed that underage consumption has increased by

650% over the last five years.

?Binge eating of chocolate has been a problem for years,? said Barr. ?People, children especially, are particularly vulnerably to temptation at Easter. If we are to tackle the obesity epidemic we have to do something now.?

Hands Off Our Packs, which is campaigning against the plain packaging of tobacco, said the proposal comes as no surprise.

Spokesman Angela Harbutt said, ?Public health campaigners are always looking for the next logical step. Tobacco and alcohol are being threatened with plain packaging so it was inevitable that confectionary would be targeted as well.

?The belief that government can impose a brand ban on every ?unhealthy? product is getting ridiculous. This time next year every item in the shop could be behind closed doors or in plain, uniform packaging.?

ends

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Also announced today, the Ikea product recall

Reply to
Mike Clarke